Police arrest top drug trafficker at Mexico City airportDecember 29th, 2011 - 8:36 pm ICT by BNO News
MEXICO CITY (BNO NEWS) — Mexican police arrested a top drug trafficker this week for whom U.S. authorities were offering a reward of $5 million dollars, authorities confirmed on early Thursday morning.
Luis Rodríguez Olivera, alias “El Guero,” was arrested on Tuesday at Mexico City International Airport. The 39-year-old is accused of money laundering and dealing drugs for the Sinaloa cartel, one of the country’s most powerful drug cartels.
According to intelligence reports, Rodríguez and his brothers Esteban, Daniel and Miguel were members of a criminal group known as “Los Gueritos” (The Blondies), which smuggled several tons of cocaine into the United States between 1996 and 2008.
A statement from Mexican federal police added that Esteban was arrested in 2008, while Miguel was killed in the state of Yucatan in August of this year. Rodríguez and his brothers worked for Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, the country’s most wanted fugitive.
According to government figures, a total of 15,273 drug-related crimes were reported to authorities in Mexico in 2010. More than 30,000 people have died in drug-related violence since Mexican President Felipe Calderón began his campaign to fight organized crime in December 2006, although some estimates put that number at more than 45,000.
- At least 20 bodies found in vehicles in western Mexico - Nov 25, 2011
- Mexican marines capture son of Sinaloa drug cartel leader - Jun 22, 2012
- Prison fight in northern Mexico leaves 20 inmates killed - Oct 17, 2011
- Five slain at Mexican hospital - Mar 03, 2012
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- Mexican journalist kidnapped - Aug 25, 2011
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Gunmen kill seven in Mexican town - Mar 24, 2011
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican drug cartel got access to secret US reports - May 11, 2010
- 121 Bodies recovered from mass graves in Mexican state - May 06, 2011
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: airport mexico, blondies, bno, criminal group, drug cartels, drug related crimes, drug trafficker, el chapo, el guero, government figures, intelligence reports, mexican federal police, mexican police, mexican president, mexico city airport, olivera, police arrest, sinaloa cartel, thursday morning, yucatan