Plumber Melvyn Careswell jailed for tax evasionJuly 27th, 2012 - 11:07 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Epsom, July 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Melvyn Careswell has been sentenced to one year in jail for tax evasion. Careswell is said to have evaded paying income tax worth 50,000 dollars.
HM Revenue and Customs are on a crackdown to look for tax evaders. Melvyn Careswell is a plumber who had not registered his company with HMRC.
David Guake, the treasury minister said that it is immoral for people to pay for plumbing services in cash earlier this week as he led other politicians in admitting that he had paid plumbers in cash. The treasury is being to lose an estimated 2 billion dollars every year because of the taxes that are evaded when people pay for certain services cash in hand. This is according to a report by the public accounts committee.
Even though there is no law that states that people should not pay for services with cash in hand, it is advised that people do not pay service providers such as plumbers in cash. It is also required for these plumbers to disclose information on their earnings so that it can be established on whether they should be taxed or not.
Careswell was convicted in the month of August in 2011 where he pleaded guilty of the charges against him. He is almost done with his term of 12 months.
- English club Portsmouth ordered to wind-up - Jan 25, 2012
- Tax evation hits infrastructure development, says court - Aug 10, 2012
- Another Indian American pleads guilty to tax evasion - Apr 14, 2011
- U.S. government seeks names of U.S. residents with HSBC India bank accounts to avoid taxes - Apr 08, 2011
- Swiss whistleblower to handover offshore banking secrets to Wikileaks - Jan 16, 2011
- Former Portugal striker Pinto fined for tax evasion - Sep 11, 2012
- Swiss banker gives 'tax evasion' secrets to WikiLeaks - Jan 16, 2011
- 1,000 yachts raided in Italy to nab tax cheats - Apr 04, 2012
- Italy loses 4.5 bn euros in tax frauds - May 03, 2012
- Supreme Court pulls up IT department for inaction in 2G scam - May 16, 2011
- Hasan Ali to be presented in court Tuesday - Mar 08, 2011
- Tax havens under pressure to share black money secrets: OECD official - Jun 15, 2011
- Man hides 140,000 pounds in aunt's grave - Jul 26, 2010
- Italian ministers post salaries online - Feb 22, 2012
- Special drive to curb tax evasion in Delhi - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: 12 months, billion dollars, crackdown, customs, earnings, epsom, hmrc, income tax, month of august, plumber, plumbing services, politicians, public accounts committee, service providers, tax evaders, tax evasion, treasury minister