Pilot dies after mid air collision in UKJuly 5th, 2011 - 6:44 am ICT by BNO News
WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) — The pilot of a small aircraft died after colliding in mid air with another plane in the United Kingdom, local media reported Monday.
The incident occurred at around 4:30 p.m. local time in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, England when an unnamed 63-year-old pilot crashed its plane into another aircraft during their flight, local authorities told BBC News. The small plane crashed down into the Adur Recreation Ground near Shoreham Airport, bursting into flames.
According to Sussex Police, the pilot tried to avoid crashing into residential areas and sought the open field. The other involved aircraft was a single-engine four-seat Diamond DA40 operated by Flying Time Aviation that was able to land safely after the collision. Both of the pilots were reported in good condition.
Emergency calls reported the incident and Sussex Police and England’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch arrived to cordon off the area and begin carrying out investigations. Wreckage and airplane parts were scattered throughout the area. Part of the plane’s propeller was located at Beach Green. Despite the parks and regular walkers in the area, no one was injured on the ground.
Flying Time Aviation has been operating since 2006, and the company said it had not been involved in a serious incident during its history as a flight training organization, underlining its priority in safety.
- Small plane crash in Eglin, Florida kills 2 - Jun 24, 2011
- Two killed in small plane crash in US - Feb 22, 2012
- Rescue workers spot wreckage of small plane on Indonesian mountain - Oct 05, 2012
- Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crash - Mar 27, 2012
- Owner hit by plane on runway, dies - May 12, 2012
- 10 killed as air ambulance crashes near Delhi (Fourth Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Nigeria mourns plane crash victims - Jun 04, 2012
- Crews recover black box from Indonesian plane crash site - May 09, 2011
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Nine killed as air ambulance crashes near Delhi (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Have few flight paths over populated areas: Pakistani daily - May 19, 2012
- Two killed in Russian trainer plane crash - Dec 04, 2011
- Pakistan grounds all private jets for checks - Apr 24, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: air accidents, airplane, bbc, bno, flight training organization, flying time, investigation branch, local authorities, local media, mid air collision, propeller, recreation ground, residential areas, sea west, shoreham by sea, small aircraft, sussex police, walkers, west sussex england, wreckage