Picasso stolen from Athens National GalleryJanuary 10th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Athens, Jan 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The police in Athens are searching for a group of burglars who broke into the biggest art museum in the country and made away with two valuable paintings. The thieves broke into the Athens National Art Gallery on Tuesday morning and stole paintings by Pablo Picasso and Dutch painter Piet Mondrian.
The police also reported that the thieves were able to steal a sketch by Italian painter Guglielmo Caccia which was donated to the museum in 1907. The museum has not indicated the value of the stolen arts but they are expected to be very high.
Picasso’s 1939 Woman’s Head painting as well as Mondrian’s Mill painting were stolen by the thieves who entered the museum through a balcony door. Police say the burglars managed to evade the security and they triggered a false alarm. It has been established that the police disabled at least one of the alarms prior to the thieves entering the facility.
Officers say a security got a glimpse of a man running away from the scene.
The police said that, “After the alarm went off the guard discovered that the two paintings were missing. Another was lying on the floor. It all happened in seven minutes’. Police are still investigating if any other art is missing.”
- Picasso, most stolen artist - Jan 29, 2012
- Robbery takes places at ancient Olympia Museum - Feb 17, 2012
- Picasso painting stolen from Paris museum - May 20, 2010
- Czech police look for stolen Picasso, Renoir paintings - Jul 12, 2012
- 271 Picasso works found with French couple - Jun 14, 2011
- Bunch of unseen Picasso paintings found in France - Nov 30, 2010
- 600M Worth of Picasso, Matisse, Modigliani Paintings Stolen! - May 20, 2010
- Presenting, 'master' Picasso with 'fan' Souza in East-West showcase (With Images) - Dec 19, 2011
- Delhi's burglars make hay while summer vacation shines - Jun 14, 2011
- Picasso painting vandalised in US - Jun 20, 2012
- Stolen Picasso paintings found in Serbia - Oct 08, 2011
- Picasso painting stolen in Colombia - Oct 26, 2011
- Two stolen Picasso paintings recovered in Serbia - Oct 27, 2011
- Stolen Picasso recovered in US - Jul 16, 2011
- Stolen Picasso painting found in Iraq - Aug 27, 2009
Tags: alarms, art museum, athens, balcony, burglars, dutch painter piet, false alarm, glimpse, guglielmo caccia, italian painter, lying on the floor, national art gallery, national gallery, pablo picasso, painting, paintings, piet mondrian, sketch, thieves, tuesday morning