Pet Airways Take Off: Pampered Paws!July 15th, 2009 - 7:14 pm ICT by GD
Man’s best friend and it’s feline counterpart now have yet another reason to feel just like one of the family, and not some furry luggage extension, stashed away in the cargo hold when traveling by air, their very own airline service, which is so exclusive, that even the pet-owners are not allowed on board!
Launched in 2005 by the husband and wife duo of Alysa Binder and Dan Weisel, the logistics of the project took four years falling into place, with the first flight finally taking off on Tuesday, from the Republic Airport in Farmingdale, New York.
The brainchild, triggered by the couple’s own distressing experience of traveling with their beloved Jack Russel Terrier ‘Zoe’ on board a regular commercial airliner, where their pet was relegated to having to travel in the dark, dingy (and potentially dangerous owing to the alarming fluctuations of temperature)cargo hold, has come as a huge relief to dog and cat-owners who don’t mind shelling the extra bucks to buy some travel comfort for their pooches, or kitties for that matter.
The airline, consisting of a fleet of five planes that have been retooled and fitted with carriers where seats used to be, will ply, as of now, between five major American cities of New York, Washington, Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles. Each aircraft, capable of carrying about 50 pets at a time, will be attended to by attendants who will escort the passengers in as well as check on them at 15-minute intervals. Long-distance stop-over flights will include among other amenities, scheduled bathroom breaks, playtime, dinner and a bunk for the night. All in all, a trendsetting venture, guaranteed to make airline, canine and feline history all at once.
- 80pc Brits won't date someone who doesn't like their pooch! - Feb 12, 2011
- Flying with pets to get easier with U.S. pet airline check-in program - Jul 24, 2010
- PetAirways launches air service for pampered pets - Jul 15, 2009
- Pets could be benefitting your kids at home - Jul 17, 2012
- Suri in tears after mom refuses to buy her puppy - Jul 17, 2012
- Airline for pampered pooches to be launched! - Apr 17, 2009
- DiCaprio's pet dog stinks, say friends - Dec 12, 2011
- Air India starts Delhi-Port Blair flight - Oct 03, 2011
- The pet dog that started to puke after swallowing a 'family of cats'! - Jun 17, 2010
- 33 pc Brits would rather spend Valentine's Day with pets than lovers! - Feb 14, 2011
- Dog survives after being stabbed 21 times - Nov 16, 2011
- A music concert for dogs - Jun 06, 2010
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Air India increases number of Delhi-Goa flights - Dec 02, 2011
- Kingfisher shuts shop in Lucknow: Airport officials - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: airline service, alysa, american cities, cat owners, chicago denver, commercial airliner, distressing experience, farmingdale new york, first flight, husband and wife, jack russel terrier, kitties, minute intervals, pampered paws, pet owners, playtime, pooches, travel comfort, weisel, wife duo