Pentagon memorial dedication - A key feature for the 9/11 memorialSeptember 11th, 2008 - 10:46 pm ICT by David M N James
The Pentagon memorial service is on and it’s open to the staff and members who work at The Pentagon.
The ceremony is to commemorate the lost lives during the September 11 terrorist’s attack that left thousands dead. The ceremony will be throughout the day and the memorial will be open to Pentagon employees and those attending the dedication ceremony. There will also be a live web-cast of the memorial tonight to showcase the service. There is a flag display, sponsored by the nonprofit Healing Field Foundation. This will provide a patriotic backdrop to the Pentagon Memorial dedication.
President Bush will be in attendance. The dedication ceremony for the Pentagon Sept. 11 memorial will begin at 8 a.m. with President Bush and Defense Secretary Robert Gates in attendance. The memorial, built at the spot where Flight 77 plowed into the Pentagon’s west wall, killing 184 people, opens to the public at 7 p.m. Bush and the first lady also will mark a moment of silence at the White House at 8:46 a.m.
In Pennsylvania a memorial is taking place. The ceremony is taking place near Shanksville and will salute the 40 passengers and crew killed on Flight 93 when it crashed in a field. The memorial begun at 9:55 am, exactly time when the plane went down and it’s at a temporary memorial near the crash site.
New York City will mark the seventh anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks with a program in a park near the former site of the World Trade Center. The program will feature a reading of the names of the 2,751 people killed and moments of silence, including at 8:46 a.m. and 9:03 a.m. which is the times the jets struck the towers.
- Politicians take backseat as US remembers 9/11 victims (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- Political, religious tensions mark ninth anniversary of 9/11 - Sep 12, 2010
- US dedicates new memorial ahead of 9/11's 10th anniversary - Sep 11, 2011
- US remembers 9/11 attacks in sombre ceremonies (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2009
- US remembers victims of 9/11 terrorist attacks (Lead) - Sep 11, 2009
- President Obama to speak at Pentagon Memorial Service on 9/11 - Sep 08, 2010
- US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero - Sep 11, 2012
- New York marks 10th anniversary of 9/11 attack - Sep 11, 2011
- Ninth 9/11 anniversary marked by controversy as relatives gather - Sep 11, 2010
- F-16s scrambled as US marked 9/11 anniversary - Sep 12, 2011
- Obama visits Shanksville crash site - Sep 12, 2011
- US marks eighth anniversary of 9/11 terror strike - Sep 11, 2009
- American history museum to host 9/11 exhibit - Sep 02, 2011
- Australia to hold 9/11 ceremony - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: backdrop, crash site, dedication ceremony, defense secretary, first lady, flight 77, flight 93, live web, memorial dedication, moment of silence, moments of silence, pentagon, pentagon employees, pentagon sept 11, president bush, robert gates, secretary robert, sept 11 memorial, shanksville, world trade center