Penguin Kelli Tracked By Police Using A MicrochipJuly 9th, 2010 - 7:40 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Dublin, July 9, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The penguin Kelli of Dublin Zoo was found on a city street after being stolen from the zoo in a suspected prank. The police officials, however, tracked the penguin using a microchip as the 10 -year-old Humboldt penguin’s safety was the priority. The penguin Kelli could have been injured during the theft or could have been crushed by a vehicle, hence, the Zoo officials took the matter very seriously.
The investigators in the Irish capital said that the penguin was stolen from the zoo around 8 p.m. yesterday and was found on the streets few hours later. However, the penguin was unharmed by the thieves or any other external threats. The zoo official said in a statement that Dublin Zoo is naturally relieved that the animal was safe and unharmed and back in the zoo. He also mentioned that the zoo authorities wished to underline the annoyance about this incident and the welfare and health of all animals “is our primary” concern and that kind of incident was not frivolous and currently not something amusing.
Police authorities are investigating the theft though no one has been arrested yet. The Zoo officials said that police tracked Kelli using a signal from a microchip planted on the bird. The police said that the thieves climbed over the security fence, got inside the zoo and stole the penguin. Later, when Kellie was found out the zoo authorities released statement saying that the lost penguin has been found. The team leader of Zoo’s east section Eddie O’Brian said that the penguin was traumatized when rescued but quickly settled back into her routine.
- Microchip leads police to Kelli the penguin - Jul 09, 2010
- Planted Micro Chip Helps In Recovering Kelli, The Lost Penguin - Jul 09, 2010
- Emu eggs being stolen from the Alabama zoo - Mar 18, 2011
- Stolen forklift used to rob ATM - Apr 06, 2011
- Happy Feet Penguin seems to be heading the wrong way - Sep 06, 2011
- Sheep rustling is on the rise in UK - Oct 04, 2011
- Designer jeans worth $1 mn stolen from warehouse - Feb 27, 2012
- Rare monkeys stolen from 133-yr-old zoo - Aug 10, 2009
- Microchip to help track Shanghai's endangered animals - Feb 11, 2012
- Largest Dutch clog goes missing - Jan 11, 2012
- Snake stolen from Mumbai zoo - May 29, 2011
- Foxes Kill Penguins at London Zoo - Oct 17, 2010
- Car thief's wife fired from Russian Police - Jul 17, 2012
- Diamonds worth millions stolen from Swiss fair - Apr 01, 2011
- Thieves target reporters covering Guatemalan president - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,