Paul the Octopus gets a memorial in GermanyJanuary 21st, 2011 - 12:45 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Berlin, Jan 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The most famous octopus that ever lived has got a memorial in Germany.
The octopus that popularly became known as “Paul the Octopus” successfully predicted the outcome of all the matches that it was tasked to predict during last summer’s World Cup in South Africa.
The Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen unveiled a two meter statue of the animal on Thursday. The 6-and-a-half plastic statue depicts the animal with the official 2010 World Cup ball-jabulani.
The animal was cremated after it passed away last October and its body was cremated. The aquarium officials revealed that the ashes of the cremated squid have been placed in a gold leaf covered urn. And the urn has been placed in the ball that the animal’s statue has been mounted on.
Paul the octopus captured international headlines during last summer’s World Cup. The animal had earlier successfully predicted the outcome of most of the matches of the European Championships. During the World Cup, the animal mostly predicted matches that were mainly played by Germany.
The animal was the toast of the German fans during most part of the World Cup. However when the animal predicted against Germany during their semifinal clash with Spain, he became public enemy number one with many people calling for the animal’s head for treason.
- Paul the Octopus' successor makes his hugely anticipated debut - Nov 07, 2010
- World Cup oracle Paul the Octups dies - Oct 26, 2010
- Soccer Psychic "Paul The Octopus" Gets Memorial - Jan 21, 2011
- Germany to honour Paul the Octopus with shrine - Jan 18, 2011
- Jabulani, South Africa's own psychic octopus - Jul 09, 2010
- 'Octopus oracle' keeps perfect record - Jul 08, 2010
- Paul the psychic octopus 'could transfer to Spain' after bidding war - Jul 16, 2010
- PETA demands release of psychic 'Octopus Paul' - Jul 10, 2010
- Spaniards keen to buy psychic octopus Paul - Jul 10, 2010
- Paul, the octopus, to become iPhone application - Jul 15, 2010
- Spain bids for Paul the octopus - Jul 17, 2010
- Paul the octopus joins England World Cup bid - Aug 21, 2010
- Heidi the cross-eyed opossum backs Natalie Portman - Feb 24, 2011
- PETA Demands To Free Paul As Fifa World Cup 2010 Final Draws Close - Jul 11, 2010
- Spanish PM offers state protection to 'Octopus Paul' after death threats! - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: aquarium officials, berlin, enemy number one, german fans, gold leaf, international headlines, oberhausen, octopus, public enemy, public enemy number, public enemy number one, sea life aquarium, semifinal clash, south africa, spain, squid, toast, treason, urn, world cup