Passenger train derails in Washington, D.C., no reports of injuries (Update)February 12th, 2010 - 11:25 pm ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — A passenger train derailed near a train station in Washington, D.C. on Friday, officials said. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
The six-car Red Line train derailed around 10.13 a.m. local time near Farragut North Metrorail station, according to Metro spokeswoman Bessy Guevara. She said the front wheels of the lead car came off the tracks.
First responders and officials have arrived at the scene and are assessing the situation. Passengers are being led off of the train and to the station. No injuries were immediately reported, but the spokeswoman said the report was still preliminary.
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority said there were delays on the Red line in both directions following the accident.
Last year, on June 22, a Red Line subway train slammed into another in northeast Washington, killing nine people and injuring 80 others. It was the worst accident in the history of Metro.
- Passenger train derails in Washington, D.C., no reports of injuries (Update) - Feb 12, 2010
- Passenger train derails in Washington, D.C. - Feb 12, 2010
- Travel Alert: Avoid D.C.'s Red Line after train collision - Jun 23, 2009
- Several injured after freight train, empty passenger train collide in Washington, D.C. - Nov 05, 2010
- Several killed after subway trains collide in Washington D.C. - Jun 23, 2009
- Injuries reported after D.C. freight train accident - Nov 05, 2010
- Six killed in Washington subway crash - Jun 23, 2009
- Search continues for bodies at Washington metro crash site - Jun 23, 2009
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Toll rises to nine in Washington subway collision (Third Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- 240 injured in Shanghai subway trains' accident - Sep 27, 2011
- Passenger trains collide in Washington D.C. - Jun 23, 2009
- Truck-train collision injures 15 in US - Oct 05, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa injures more than 850 - May 20, 2011
- Two coaches of metro train derail in Kolkata, no injuries - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: area transit authority, bno, farragut north, first responders, guevara, line subway, local time, metro, metropolitan area transit authority, metrorail station, passenger train, red line train, spokeswoman, subway train, train derails, train station, washington d c, washington metropolitan area, washington metropolitan area transit authority, wheels