Passenger plane crashes in northwest Russia, some killedJune 21st, 2011 - 6:04 am ICT by BNO News
MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) — A passenger plane carrying nearly 50 people crashed near a city in northwest Russia on late Monday evening, officials said, killing an unknown number of people.
The Tupolev Tu-134 passenger plane crashed about 15 kilometers (9.3 miles) from Petrozavodsk, the capital city of the Republic of Karelia, which is one of Russia’s federal subjects. It was carrying 43 passengers, including eight children, and five crew members.
While it was not immediately known which airline was involved in the accident, authorities said the aircraft was flying from the Russian capital of Moscow to Petrozavodsk. The plane was on fire after the crash, although it was quickly extinguished.
According to the country’s Ministry of Emergency Situations, several people were transported to area hospitals after the accident, while adding that an unknown number of people were feared to have been killed.
Other details were not immediately available.
- RusLine passenger plane crashes in northwest Russia, 44 killed - Jun 21, 2011
- Passenger plane carrying ice hockey team crashes in western Russia, killing 43 - Sep 07, 2011
- Russia suspends airline after crash kills 47 - Jul 14, 2011
- 44 die in Russia plane crash (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- 44 killed in Russia plane crash - Jun 21, 2011
- 44 including 8 foreigners killed in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Six dead in southern Russia plane crash - Mar 06, 2011
- Russian plane crash toll rises to 46 - Jun 26, 2011
- Russia to ban planes without safety systems - Jun 26, 2011
- UTair passenger plane crashes in Siberia, killing 31 - Apr 02, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes near Pakistani capital of Islamabad, many killed (Updated) - Apr 20, 2012
- Angara passenger plane crashes in Siberia, killing 5 - Jul 11, 2011
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes into Pakistani neighborhood, casualties feared - Apr 20, 2012
- Small passenger plane crashes during bad weather in Nepal, killing 16 - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: airline, authorities, bno, crash, crew members, emergency situations, federal subjects, hospitals, karelia, kilometers, moscow, northwest russia, passenger plane, plane crashes, russian capital, tu 134, tupolev, unknown number