Passenger dies mid-air during Mexico-Belgium flightMay 23rd, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by BNO News
SHANNON, IRELAND (BNO NEWS) — A Jetairfly passenger plane flying from Mexico to Belgium made an emergency landing in Ireland on Wednesday morning after one of its passengers became unwell in mid-air, the airline said. The passenger was pronounced dead upon landing.
Jetairfly flight 208 was flying from Cancún International Airport on the Caribbean coast of Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula when a male passenger suffered a medical emergency. “The crews and passenger-nurses who were called upon administered medical care,” said Hans Vanhaelemeesch, a spokesman for the Belgian airline.
Less than 30 minutes after the pilot declared a medical emergency, the Boeing 767-300 made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport in Ireland. “At the airport a doctor determined the death of the passenger,” Vanhaelemeesch said. “The deceased passenger was traveling with his spouse. The cause of death is heart failure.”
The remaining 252 passengers waited several hours before they were able to resume their flight to the Belgian capital of Brussels. “The unfortunate incident resulted in a 6-hour delay at Brussels,” the spokesman added. “The management and staff of Jetairfly and Jetair express their condolences to the family of the deceased.”
The nationality of the deceased was not released.
- Dutch flight to Colombo suffers bird hit in Goa - Oct 27, 2011
- Wild air traffic control strike grounds flights across Belgium - Sep 28, 2010
- American Airlines plane makes emergency landing in Iceland - Apr 13, 2010
- Plane makes emergency landing in Poland - Nov 02, 2011
- Air traffic control strike grounds flights across Belgium - Sep 28, 2010
- Dutch national arrested aboard Aruba-bound plane in Ireland - Jan 13, 2010
- Super jumbo makes emergency landing at Hyderabad airport - Oct 23, 2011
- Fly to US from Dublin with full customs clearance - Jan 10, 2012
- Dutch airliner makes emergency landing in Ireland after bomb threat - Jan 13, 2010
- Kingfisher cancels London-New Delhi flight - Dec 20, 2010
- Irish airspace to close on Tuesday morning due to volcanic ash cloud - May 04, 2010
- British man attacks flight crew on UK-bound plane - May 12, 2011
- Ireland may close airspace on Tuesday due to volcanic ash - May 04, 2010
- Qantas plane forced to return after bird strike - Nov 17, 2010
- Another Qantas plane makes emergency landing - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: belgian airline, belgian capital, bno, boeing 767 300, caribbean coast, cause of death, condolences, emergency landing, heart failure, jetairfly, medical care, medical emergency, mid air, nationality, passenger plane, shannon airport, shannon ireland, unfortunate incident, wednesday morning, yucatan peninsula