Parents of American student Amanda Knox indicted for libeling police in ItalyFebruary 16th, 2011 - 12:45 am ICT by BNO News
PERUGIA, ITALY (BNO NEWS) — The parents of the American student Amanda Knox on Tuesday were indicted for libeling police after claiming law agents abused their daughter after her 2007 arrest over the murder of a British student.
According to the ANSA news agency, Curt Knox and his wife Edda Mellas gave an interview to the British Sunday Times in 2009 claiming that Amanda was not given an interpreter, food and water as well as sustained physical and verbal abuse by the Perugia police.
The indictment read that Amanda’s parents contrary to the truth accused Perugia police officers of mistreating the murder suspect. Knox and Mellas were also accused of falsely claiming that the defendant was hit in the head and was threatened to prevent her from requesting a lawyer.
Knox, 23, has been in prison for three years after he was sentenced to 26 years of imprisonment for murdering her flat mate Meredith Kercher on November 2, 2007. She was ordered to stand trial for libeling police in November 2010.
She was sentenced in December 2009 for murdering Kercher, a British exchange student, and for defaming the owner of the bar where she worked. Her former Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 26, and Rudy Guede, a drifter and small-time drug dealer, were sentenced for the murder as well.
Kercher’s body was found semi-naked and with her throat slashed in what appeared to be a home burglary. Knox, Sollecito and Rudy Guede started a sex game but Kercher refused to participate. Sollecito hold the victim while Knox tabbed her to death.
Sollecito was later sentenced to 25 years in prison while Guede was sentenced to 16 years of imprisonment. In January, Knox’s lawyers secured the re-examination of DNA evidence. Knox has also begun her appeal against the 26-year sentence.
- I did not kill Kercher: Knox tells court - Oct 03, 2011
- Hayden Panettiere to star as Amanda Knox in TV movie 'Lifetime' - Sep 22, 2010
- Knox flies home after acquittal in murder case - Oct 04, 2011
- Amanda Knox's Parents Charged With Slanderering Italian Police - Jul 07, 2010
- Amanda Knox's parents face slander charges - Jul 07, 2010
- Amanda Knox's lawyers want to stop the Lifetime film - Feb 10, 2011
- Amanda Knox to sign 2.5 mn pounds book deal - Feb 18, 2012
- Appeal Trial Of Amanda Knox Commences In Italy, With Her Attorneys Asserting Her Guiltlessness - Nov 25, 2010
- Amanda Knox Says Her Trial Was "Correct", Expresses Faith In Italian Jury - Dec 12, 2009
- Amanda Knox Starring In Prison's Christmas Show - Sep 21, 2010
- Amanda Knox to wait for 2 months to know DNA evidence would be used or not - Aug 01, 2011
- Amanda Knox's family invites her ex-boyfriend to Seattle - Oct 07, 2011
- Amanda Knox Turns Emotional For The First Time In Murder Appeal - Dec 12, 2010
- Slander Trial In Italy Against Amanda Knox's Parents - Jul 07, 2010
- Hayden Panettiere to play convicted murderer Amanda Knox - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: amanda knox, ansa news agency, bno, defendant, dna evidence, exchange student, flat mate, guede, home burglary, imprisonment, indictment, kercher, november 2, perugia italy, rudy, sex game, small time, sollecito, time drug, verbal abuse