Painting Found In Buffalo Could Possibly Be A MichaelangeloOctober 16th, 2010 - 6:34 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
October 16, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): The Kober Family of Buffalo, NY, has possibly been sitting on a gold mine for the last 27 years. It seems that a painting owned by the family, fondly referred to as “The Mike”, could be an authentic but unfinished Michaelangelo work.
Apparently, The Mike was tucked behind the Kobers’ couch for several years after it fell from the wall when it got hit by a ball once. Retired Air Force Lt. Col. Martin Kober was just a boy when his parents had given him the task of finding out whether the legend of the family heirloom being an original Michaelangelo was actually true. However, Kober just recently got around to actually investigating the origins of the painting. According to Kober’s research, the painting had, at one point in time, belonged to a German baroness, who had bequeathed it to a certain Getrude Young, her lady-in-waiting. Young had sent it to America to her brother-in-law, who turns out to be Kober’s great grandfather.
Once news of the discovery spread, several art historians and connoisseurs started speculating about the authenticity and, of course, worth of the painting dubbed The Lost Pieta. Antonio Forcellino, a Michaelangelo biographer and art historian believes that it is indeed an original work, based on the X-Rays done and the unfinished patches in the painting.
If this discovery is actually the real deal, some speculate that it could be worth an awful lot of money, probably around $300 million.
- 500-yr-old rare Michelangelo painting 'found tucked behind a sofa' - Oct 11, 2010
- Original model for Michelangelo's Pieta 'found' - Dec 01, 2010
- 100 works of renaissance artist Caravaggio found - Jul 07, 2012
- M.F. Husain to be remembered on death anniversary (With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Venice film fest: Kim Ki-duk's 'Pieta' scoops Golden Lion - Sep 09, 2012
- Britain turning a nation of hoarders? - Sep 16, 2011
- Iconic Raphael self portrait under scrutiny after identical painting surfaces - Jan 28, 2011
- Physicists use ion beams to detect art forgery - Jan 22, 2012
- Leave Mona Lisa's remains in peace, pleads royal relative - Apr 29, 2011
- Bugatti Becomes The World's Priciest Car On Being Vended For $30 Million - Aug 05, 2010
- Be in Bangalore for daylong dance fiesta (April 29 is World Dance Day) - Apr 26, 2012
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- India's first art fiction captures world of contemporary colours (With Images) - Jul 05, 2012
- World of contemporary colours captured in India's first art fiction (Lead) (With Images) - Jul 05, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta's 'Kali' sells for Rs.5.72 crore in online auction - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: air force lt, art historian, art historians, authenticity, buffalo ny, connoisseurs, discovery, family heirloom, german baroness, gold mine, great grandfather, men at work, michaelangelo, origins, patches, pen men, pieta, point in time, real deal, x rays