Owner of FL medical equipment company convicted of fraudFebruary 3rd, 2010 - 3:18 am ICT by BNO News
MIAMI (BNO NEWS) – The former president and owner of a medical equipment company on Tuesday was convicted of health care fraud charges, prosecutors said.
Maria A. Aloise, 41, was convicted following a six-day trial in front of a federal jury of ten counts of health care fraud. Aloise was the president and owner of Aetnas Medical Equipment, Inc., a Hialeah-based company that purportedly provided durable medical equipment (DME) to Medicare beneficiaries.
From the summer of 2006 until the spring of 2007, Atenas Medical Equipment submitted approximately $1,421,346 in fraudulent claims to Medicare seeking reimbursement for various types of DME. The DME included items used in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, such as oxygen concentrators.
The treatment of incontinence, such as urinary leg bags; and DME used to treat other illnesses. The DME had not been legitimately prescribed by health care providers and had not been provided to Medicare patients.
Aloise executed her fraud scheme using forged prescriptions, certificates of medical necessity, and delivery receipts. She also fraudulently used identifying information of numerous Medicare beneficiaries and physicians.
She faces a maximum sentence of ten years’ imprisonment on each of the health care fraud counts.
- Los Angeles, CA fugitive sentenced for Medicare fraud - Mar 26, 2010
- A Nigerian national pled guilty to $1.6 million health care fraud in Texas - Mar 03, 2010
- Miami couple sentenced for $1 million Medicare fraud - Mar 13, 2010
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Raleigh, NC, man sentenced for $12.64 million health care fraud - Mar 03, 2010
- Feds make Medicare fraud arrests - Feb 18, 2011
- Six Indian-Americans caught in US Medicare fraud - Feb 18, 2011
- Miami resident sentenced to 22 years in prison for Medicare fraud - Jan 28, 2010
- Indian American doctor gets jail for $13 mn insurance fraud - Aug 12, 2010
- A Miami, FL man was sentenced for multi-million dollar health care fraud - Mar 03, 2010
- Wake Forest, NC man pleads guilty to health care fraud - Mar 05, 2010
- Houston, TX behavioral counseling business owner charged with health care fraud - Mar 04, 2010
- Indian American fundraiser for jailed governor arrested - Jun 21, 2012
- 19 Indians indicted for $60 mn medical fraud in US - Aug 03, 2011
- Two Miami-Dade, Florida HIV-clinic owners sentenced for health care fraud - Jan 27, 2010
Tags: bno, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, dme, durable medical equipment, federal jury, former president, fraud charges, fraud scheme, fraudulent claims, health care fraud, health care providers, imprisonment, maximum sentence, medical equipment company, medical necessity, medicare beneficiaries, medicare patients, obstructive pulmonary disease, oxygen concentrators, urinary leg bags