Overloaded bus plunges into river in southern Kenya, killing 23August 21st, 2011 - 4:14 pm ICT by BNO News
MBOONI, KENYA (BNO NEWS) — More than 20 people were killed on late Saturday evening when a bus carrying members of a family to wedding preparations plunged into a river in southern Kenya, police said on Sunday.
The accident happened at around 9 p.m. local time when the 41-seater bus overturned several times and plunged into a river near Mbooni, a settlement in the Makueni District of Kenya’s Eastern Province. The bus was carrying at least 57 people.
A police spokesman said a total of 23 people were killed in the accident, among them 11 men, 11 women, and a baby. Thirty-four others were taken to various hospitals in the region, including at least 15 people who were in a critical condition.
The passengers on board the vehicle were said to be traveling from Makueni District to the settlement of Kangundo for dowry negotiations. Dowry is the money, goods, or estate which a woman gives to her husband when getting married in some cultures.
It was not immediately clear whether the bride and groom were among the casualties, although one report said the groom had been killed.
Saturday’s accident is the worst traffic accident so far this year in Kenya, where accidents are common due to the poor conditions of roads and vehicles.
- Passenger bus overturns in southeast Kenya, killing 12 - Apr 02, 2012
- 21 killed in Afghan road accident - May 14, 2011
- 5 killed in China bus accident - Jun 30, 2012
- Bus accident kills 14, injures 45 in southwestern Uganda - Sep 19, 2012
- Toll rise to 32 in Maharashtra bus accident (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- 13 dead in China road accident - Apr 22, 2012
- Two die as luxury bus overturns in Maharashtra - Feb 24, 2012
- 17 killed in China bus accident - Jun 20, 2012
- 30 pilgrims dead in Maharashtra bus accident (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- At least 31 dead after bus plunges into a river in northeastern India - Jun 01, 2011
- Eight people killed in Jharkhand road accident - Jul 06, 2012
- Bus accident in northern Pakistan kills 6, injures 23 - Jan 17, 2012
- Bus plunges into ravine in southwest China, killing 15 - Mar 13, 2012
- 15 dead, 30 wounded in Pakistan bus accident - May 26, 2012
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: accidents, bride and groom, bus plunges, casualties, critical condition, cultures, dowry, eastern province, hospitals, late saturday evening, local time, money goods, negotiations, police spokesman, seater bus, several times, southern kenya, traffic accident, wedding preparations