One injured in Northern Illinois University shooting (Update)February 19th, 2010 - 6:44 pm ICT by BNO News
DEKALB, ILLINOIS (BNO NEWS) — Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois was briefly locked down on Friday after a shooting on campus, officials said.
A message sent to students on early Friday said the shooting happened shortly before 4.30 a.m. local time near the Stevenson Residence Hall, injuring one student who was transported to Kishwaukee Community Hospital for treatment.
The suspected gunman was taken into custody shortly after the shooting. “NIU Public Safety officials are stating that the event appears to be an isolated incident between two individuals, and that the alleged assailant is in police custody,” a statement from the University read.
Students are advising students and campus residents to take extra precaution on Friday morning, and ask people to be alert for any unusual circumstances. Students who observe anything that appears to be out of the ordinary are asked to call NIU Public Safety at 815-753-1212.
The lockdown on campus lasted about half an hour. All classes will be held as scheduled on Friday.
Northern Illinois University was the scene of a mass school shooting on February 14, 2008 when a gunman killed five people and wounded 18 others. The gunman, 27-year-old Steven Kazmierczak, killed himself.
- One injured in Northern Illinois University shooting - Feb 19, 2010
- NIU Shooting Leaves One Injured - Feb 19, 2010
- NIU shooting injures 1 person, no motive given for shooting - Feb 20, 2010
- 2 yr Anniversary of NIU Valentine's Day Shooting - Feb 20, 2010
- Body Found Near Antinette Keller's Site Of Disappearance - Oct 25, 2010
- Wave Tech Community College put on lockdown due to a gunman on the prowl - Jan 24, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's Noorul Islam University to launch satellite - Dec 16, 2011
- Oklahoma City Community College is under a lockdown - Feb 27, 2010
- Over 90 killed in US mass shootings in two years - Apr 04, 2009
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- FBI called in to help probe US campus shooting - Feb 16, 2008
- Obesity linked to income and education - Feb 08, 2011
- Man held after people shot near Texas varsity - Aug 14, 2012
- 14 killed, 50 wounded at Batman showing in US (Fourth Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Indian-American banker killed in New Jersey plane crash (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: assailant, bno, campus officials, campus residents, community hospital, dekalb illinois, february 14, friday morning, half an hour, kazmierczak, local time, lockdown, northern illinois university, police custody, precaution, public safety officials, school shooting, suspected gunman, unusual circumstances