One dead, three missing after tour boat capsizes in central JapanAugust 17th, 2011 - 11:59 pm ICT by BNO News
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — A boat carrying 23 passengers capsized on Wednesday in central Japan, leaving one tourist dead and three people missing, local media said.
The fire department in the city of Hamamatsu in western Shizuoka prefecture said the sightseeing boat capsized while going down the Tenryu River. The boat was carrying 23 people including the boatmen and a tour guide, according to NHK Television.
A woman in her 70s was pronounced dead, while a 2-year-old boy, an 82-year-old man and a boatman are missing. Six other people were hospitalized, including one elderly woman who was unconscious.
Tenryu-Hamanako Railway, the operator of the sightseeing tour, said the boat does not have a motor and is powered only by the boatmen. It added that the water flow is slow during most of the 50 minute tour, except at the stretch in which the boat capsized where the water swirls.
The operator said it advised only the children to put on the life jackets although jackets were provided for all the passengers in the boat, according to NHK Television.
The Transport Safety Board is currently investigating the cause of the accident.
- 10 confirmed dead after China boat capsize - Feb 14, 2012
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Radiation detected in Japan tea - Jun 10, 2011
- One dead as boat capsizes in Pakistan - Oct 17, 2011
- Four missing after boat capsizes in northeast China - Aug 20, 2010
- 13 killed as boat capsizes in Tamil Nadu lake - Dec 25, 2011
- 45 missing as Philippines boat capsizes - Feb 14, 2012
- Six dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 20, 2010
- Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in Moscow - Aug 01, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Hundreds believed dead in Congo boat accidents - Sep 06, 2010
- Boat capsizes in West Bengal, two missing - Jan 19, 2011
- Missing boat will 42 pilgrims located, all passengers safe - Oct 07, 2010
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- One held for Ballia boat tragedy - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: bno, boatman, boatmen, central japan, elderly woman, fire department, hamamatsu, japan tokyo, life jackets, local media, railway, safety board, shizuoka prefecture, sightseeing boat, sightseeing tour, tenryu river, tour boat capsizes, transport safety, water flow, water swirls