One Dead and Two Injured in Montana Bear Attack Near YellowstoneJuly 29th, 2010 - 3:46 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
July 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Three people were attacked at a campground which is located near Yellowstone National Park, early Wednesday morning just before dawn, leaving one person dead and two injured, according to wildlife officials in Montana.
An unidentified man died in the bear attack, which was believed to be from one bear. The incident took place at the Soda Butte campground just outside of Cooke City to the East. Ron Aasheim, a Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks spokesman said that the report came in at 4 am.
Aside from the death of the unknown man, a female obtained lacerations on her arms which were very severe from the bear bites, and another male was bitten on his leg. They were taken to the hospital in nearby Cody, Wyoming. The identities and ages of the victims were withheld by wildlife officials until a response team can investigate the occurrence.
“We don’t know if it was one bear, two bears, a black bear or grizzly bear,” Aasheim stated, “Obviously the bear’s gone now. Will it come back tonight? That’s the question.”
The campground was cleared out by authorities after the attack, and campers were told to go to their cars after tents in the area were smashed. The US Forest Service campground will be closed until the investigation is over.
Another attack, this one by a grizzly, occurred in 2008, when a man was bitten while he was sleeping in his tent at the same campground. The Soda Butte campground is located in the Gallatin National Forest which is near the northeastern entrance of well known Yellowstone National Park. That bear was captured and taken to a bear research center at Washington State University.
- Soda Butte Campground Nightmare - Jul 29, 2010
- Yellowstone National Park officials confirm grizzly attack death - Aug 30, 2011
- Bear shot dead after it mauls 70-year-old man - Jun 20, 2010
- Orphaned Grizzlies At ZooMontana Turn Out To Be Latest Attraction For Visitors - Dec 21, 2010
- Orphaned grizzlies sent to the Montana zoo - Dec 21, 2010
- Yellowstone National Park officials hunt for a killer grizzly bear - Jul 07, 2011
- Premiere Of The Infamous Orphaned Grizzlies Takes Place At A Zoo In Montana - Dec 21, 2010
- Scientists Warn Of Hungry Bears At Yellowstone - Aug 23, 2010
- TV presenter Jack Hanna wards off a grizzly bear with pepper spray - Jul 28, 2010
- Loss of predators tied with deforestation - Apr 10, 2012
- Bear mauls two men to death - Mar 06, 2012
- Largest volcano 'to erupt after 600,000 yrs, wipe out two-thirds of the U.S' - Jan 25, 2011
- Threatened by Maoists, 22 bears find home in Bangalore - Nov 12, 2010
- Kashmir officials start radio collaring of leopards - Mar 19, 2012
- Three tiger cubs spotted in Ranthambore - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,