Occupy Oakland protestors find a new camp for their campaignNovember 23rd, 2011 - 12:06 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Oakland, Nov 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Occupy Oakland protesters have found a new camp for their campaign. The group made up of about 30 protesters have camped at a foreclosed property in Oakland. The protesters told reporters that they have obtained permission to camp in the property which is a two-storey home.
The protesters first camped at the location on Monday night. About 10 tents have been erected on the lot which is located at the corner of 18th and Linden streets in West Oakland
The protesters do not plan to vacate the property anytime soon. The police have been evicting the protesters from various locations and they recently told the Occupy group to move away from the Snow Park. The police gave the notification to the protesters on Monday.
The protesters are conducting their sit-down protest in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement. Last week, the police tried to forcefully move protesters from the campus of the University of California. The police used pepper spray to get the protesters out.
Two of the officers have been placed on administrative leave for the excesses in the exercise.
The president of the university Mark G. Yudof said that, “I implore students who wish to demonstrate to do so in a peaceful and lawful fashion. I expect campus authorities to honor that right.”
- California cops on leave after pepper-spraying sparks outrage - Nov 21, 2011
- Thousands protest pepper spray at California campus - Nov 22, 2011
- Defying ban, 'occupy' protesters stay put in Washington - Jan 31, 2012
- 'Occupy' protesters defy ban, stay put in Washington (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Occupy protesters evicted from New York park - Nov 15, 2011
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- Russia condemns US crackdown on Occupy movement - Dec 14, 2011
- Police arrest several 'Occupy LA' protestors - Nov 28, 2011
- Around 700 people arrested for taking part in the Wall Street protests - Oct 03, 2011
- Susan Sarandon shows her support for the Wall Street protestors - Sep 28, 2011
- Police arrest 31 Occupy DC protesters - Dec 05, 2011
- Occupy protesters confront police across US - Dec 13, 2011
- New York mayor warns protesters to stay away from banks - Oct 08, 2011
- New York won't tolerate Wall Street violence: Mayor - Nov 06, 2011
- Occupiers finally arrive at Harvard too! - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,