‘Occupy LA’ protestors defy order to evacuate by Sunday midnightNovember 28th, 2011 - 7:53 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Nov 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Occupy LA protesters have defied an order to evacuate the City Hall by Sunday midnight. With the deadline passed, the Los Angeles Police Department has announced that they have moved into tactical alert to get the protesters out.
The LAPD says with the deadline over, the protesters who refused to move will be arrested. That promises to bring the police in confrontation with the protesters who have sworn to remain at the camp. The protesters have been occupying the City Hall for eight weeks.
Speaking ahead of the deadline, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said the city will no longer tolerate the protests. He warned the protesters to take the easy way out by dispersing.
In a statement from the office of the mayor, Villaraigosa said that, “While Occupy L.A. has brought needed attention to the economic disparities in our country, an encampment on City Hall grounds is simply not sustainable indefinitely.”
Reuters reports that police in riot gears are closing in on the protesters. Hundreds of protesters are camped outside the City Hall. The report says the protesters seem to have been emboldened as the police get closer. Some of the protesters have armed themselves with nose masks anticipating the use of tear gas by the police.
There are about 400 tents at the camp site with nearly 800 people staying there.
- Police arrest several 'Occupy LA' protestors - Nov 28, 2011
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- Los Angeles wants to promote clean technology with India - Nov 17, 2011
- Porn industry may quit Hollywood over new law - Jan 19, 2012
- Porn stars to wear condoms in LA - Jan 26, 2012
- Occupy protesters confront police across US - Dec 13, 2011
- Defying ban, 'occupy' protesters stay put in Washington - Jan 31, 2012
- Occupy activists arrested in several US cities - Nov 14, 2011
- 'Occupy' protesters defy ban, stay put in Washington (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- New York mayor warns protesters to stay away from banks - Oct 08, 2011
- California cops on leave after pepper-spraying sparks outrage - Nov 21, 2011
- Occupy protesters evicted from New York park - Nov 15, 2011
- New Academy In California For Preventing Gang Violence - Jun 05, 2010
- Occupy Oakland protestors find a new camp for their campaign - Nov 23, 2011
- An artist who transforms guns into sculptures - May 02, 2012
Tags: angeles police department, antonio villaraigosa, city hall, confrontation, economic disparities, encampment, gears, lapd, masks, mayor antonio villaraigosa, mayor villaraigosa, promises, protesters, protestors, protests, reuters, riot, sunday midnight, tear gas, tents