Obama’s step grandmother threatened by Al QaedaMay 13th, 2011 - 1:04 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Nairobi, May 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) One of the African wings of al Qaeda, Al Shabaab, has threatened to kill the step-grandmother of President Barack Obama. Sarah Obama lives in Kenya and shortly after the raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, Al Shabaab tried to target her.
The Kenyan security forces have increased the security for the older woman who is not the biological grandmother of Obama. Sarah was married to Obama’s grandfather and she has been in the United States twice to visit Obama. Obama has also been to Kenya to visit Sarah in the past. Obama’s father comes from Kenya.
The Kenyan police chief Stephen Cheteka told the media that, “We received reports of plans to attack the home of Mama Sarah Obama, and we immediately put in place adequate security measures.”
Al Shabaab is based in Somalia and the group has carried out series of attacks in Somalia and Uganda. Ugandan forces are in Somalia to help the internationally-backed government stay in power. Al Shabaab is opposed to the government and has been fighting the government for years. Al Shabaab wants to introduce the Sharia law and other Islamic rules in the country.
- Al Qaeda-linked outfit threatens Obama's grandmother - May 13, 2011
- Security tightened at Obama grandmother's home following Osama's death - May 04, 2011
- Is Obama's grandmother under threat from Al Qaeda? - May 13, 2011
- US says backing Kenya's military operation in Somalia - Oct 28, 2011
- Kenyan police nab over 130 immigrants - Jul 10, 2012
- Uganda issues terror alert on Al Qaeda-linked group - Aug 04, 2011
- 14 hurt in Nairobi grenade attack - Oct 24, 2011
- Kenyan football lovers keep off pubs during Euro final - Jul 02, 2012
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Two Ugandan military helicopters crash-land in Kenya - Aug 13, 2012
- Kenya seals border with Somalia - Feb 12, 2012
- Unicef concerned over escalating conflict in Somalia - Nov 16, 2011
- Uganda bomb blast shows Al Shabaab's intent to attack the US homeland - Jul 13, 2010
- Kenyan forces in shootout with French woman's abductors - Oct 02, 2011
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: adequate security, al qaeda, barack obama, islamic rules, kenya, kenyan police, mama, nairobi, older woman, osama bin laden, pakistan, police chief, security forces, sharia law, somalia, step grandmother, uganda, ugandan forces, united states, wings