Obama observes Memorial Day at ArlingtonMay 26th, 2009 - 12:50 am ICT by John Le Fevre
US President Barack Obama has paid tribute to the fighting men and woman of the United States who have died in battle at Arlington National Cemetery for Memorial Day 2009.
Mr. Obama laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns, a marble structure housing the remains of unidentified U.S. military members who died during war, and said a willingness to risk their lives for people they’ve never met “is why they are the best of America.”
The President also sent wreaths to a monument for Confederate soldiers and other flowers to the African American Civil War Memorial in Washington to honor more than 200,000 African-Americans who fought for the Union during the Civil War.
Memorial Day is recognized as dating back to 1868 when it was called Decoration Day because flowers would be placed on the graves of soldiers who had died in the Civil War.
The first official observance was in1868 with flowers being placed on both Union and Confederate soldiers’ graves in Arlington National Cemetery.
In 1971, Congress passed the National Holiday Act establishing Memorial Day as a national holiday to be observed on the last Monday in May.
Presidents traditionally visit Arlington to personally leave a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Another tradition is to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff from dawn until noon local time, while volunteers often place American flags on each gravesite at National Cemeteries.
In 200 the US Congress passed The National Moment of Remembrance Act, which encourages all Americans to pause wherever they are at 3pm local time for a minute of silence to honor and remember those who gave their lives in the service of the country.
- Memorial Day: Pass it On, Lest We Forget - May 31, 2010
- President Of United States Barack Obama To Mark Memorial Day At Lincoln Cemetery - May 31, 2010
- Memorial Day Celebrations Engulf Nation - Jun 01, 2010
- Veterans Day 2010 To Be Celebrated On Nov 11 - Nov 08, 2010
- U.S. astronaut Neil Armstrong's funeral planned for Friday - Aug 28, 2012
- WWII Assam cemetery being dug for Japanese troops' remains - Jan 19, 2012
- Critics question Obama's priorities as heads for second vacation after oil spill - May 28, 2010
- PM pays homage to immortal soldier - Jan 26, 2012
- PM pays homage to unknown soldier (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- US President Obama Highlights The Momentousness Of Memorial Day In An Address To The American Populace - May 31, 2010
- Taylor Swift visits military cemetery - Aug 05, 2011
- Obama Visits Tomb Of Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day - May 25, 2009
- Information about Memorial Day closings - May 28, 2012
- Arlington National Cemetery Investigation Lists Out 200 Misidentified Graves, Officers Suspended - Jun 11, 2010
- Obama pays tribute to military - Nov 12, 2009
Tags: american civil war, american flags, arlington national cemetery, barack obama, civil war memorial, confederate soldiers, decoration day, fighting men, last monday, marble structure, military members, minute of silence, national cemeteries, national holiday, national moment of remembrance, tomb of the unknowns, union during the civil war, us congress, war memorial, wreath