Oakland mayor tired of ‘Occupy Oakland’ protestorsJanuary 30th, 2012 - 11:16 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Oakland, Jan 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The police in Oakland say they have made what could easily be the biggest mass arrests in the city after Occupy Oakland protesters returned. The protesters are accused of vandalizing the City Hall and a YCMA center.
Oakland Mayor Jean Quan told reporters that she is tired of the actions of the protesters. She took newsmen round the City Hall showing them the extent of damage that has been done to the facility.
“I ran out of patience a long time ago. We’re tired of some people - and, again, it’s a faction of the Occupy movement - using Oakland as their playground. I think people are really angry.”
Police officials say they have arrested at least 300 people although they are unable to confirm the actual number. Earlier reports say the police swoop on the protesters resulted in the arrest of 100 people but Oakland Police Officer Johnna Watson said the number is higher than that. She explained that the figure could be three or four times the number reported by the media. She called the exercise one of the largest mass arrests made in the city.
Local municipal workers were trying to restore the City Hall on Sunday.
- Gunman kills seven at California religious college - Apr 03, 2012
- Defying ban, 'occupy' protesters stay put in Washington - Jan 31, 2012
- 'Occupy' protesters defy ban, stay put in Washington (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- New York won't tolerate Wall Street violence: Mayor - Nov 06, 2011
- 85 protesters arrested in US - Oct 26, 2011
- Occupy protesters confront police across US - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Occupy LA' protestors defy order to evacuate by Sunday midnight - Nov 28, 2011
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- Occupy activists arrested in several US cities - Nov 14, 2011
- More Than 100 Arrested In Oakland Riots - Nov 06, 2010
- Oakland Resident Recalls Riot Scene - Nov 07, 2010
- Police arrest several 'Occupy LA' protestors - Nov 28, 2011
- Riots Spark Off In Oakland After Mehserle Verdict - Jul 09, 2010
- Defiant Anna jailed, freed, refuses to leave Tihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Occupy Oakland protestors find a new camp for their campaign - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: city hall, exercise one, extent, faction, jean quan, johnna, long time, mass arrests, newsmen, oakland mayor, oakland police, patience, playground, police officer, police officials, police swoop, protesters, protestors, watson, ycma