Number of women having children in their forties treblesJuly 11th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, July 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The number of women who are giving birth in their forties has gone up by almost 300%.
In 1991, only 9835 women who were in their forties gave birth to children whereas in 2011, almost 30,000 women who were in their forties gave birth. Even new mothers who are in their late 30’s has increased by almost 4 percent.
The Office for National Statistics released their findings and they said that career was the main reason why women were delaying having children.
Some of the women who waited till their forties to have children said that they couldn’t afford having a child earlier. Many also said that they were waiting Mr. Right for a long time, so the decision to have children also got delayed.
The Office for National Statistics officials also said that women could afford to have children so late all because of IVF, donor eggs and other fertility treatments, made possible due to advancements in science. Medically it is said that woman should have children by the age of 35 years. Having children after 35 years of age puts women in the ‘high risk’ category.
- 57-year-old Indian woman delivers twins, sets Australian record - Nov 07, 2010
- Oz women warned not to put motherhood on ice - Feb 27, 2011
- IVF clinics mushroom under toothless ICMR guidelines (Feature) - Oct 19, 2011
- Healthy baby born from embryo frozen 20 years ago - Oct 11, 2010
- In Britain, half of women turn mums in their 30s - Oct 21, 2011
- Growing number of 50-plus women giving birth - Nov 01, 2010
- Women freezing eggs in wait for 'Mr Right': Study - Jun 29, 2010
- Treatment helps woman deliver twins at 51 - Sep 21, 2010
- Study: Women more likely to have fertility problems at 35 - Jan 28, 2011
- Medical advance may allow women to freeze their eggs in 20s, have babies at 50 - Apr 03, 2011
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- Fertility treatment doesn't up cancer risk, says IVF study - Dec 05, 2010
- DNA advancement may halt transmission of inherited diseases - Apr 15, 2010
- Fertility treatments show diminishing returns - Aug 06, 2010
- Healthy baby conceived from 20-year-old embryo - Oct 11, 2010