Noted Outdoorsman Hendrik Coetzee Presumed Dead After Crocodile AttackDecember 10th, 2010 - 8:23 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Johannesburg, Dec 10, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In a tragic twist of fate, renowned South African outdoorsman Hendrik Coetzee supposedly lost his life after he was attacked by a crocodile while leading an extremely adventurous kayaking expedition. In the incident that took place earlier this week, the noted whitewater guide and outdoorsman was dragged from her kayak by a crocodile at the Lukuga River in the Democratic Republic of Congo. During the incident, Hendrik Coetzee was also accompanied by two American kayakers, Chris Korbulic and Ben Stookesberry but fortunately both of them were able to paddle back to safety despite the attack by the crocodile.
The news that the kayaking expedition was struck by tragedy has been affirmed by Eddie Bauer who was the main sponsor of the trip in a statement that has been released in the official website of his company. In the statement, the expedition sponsor expressed deepest condolences for Hendrik Coetzee family and friends while adding that the tragic incident has left them extremely saddened. While talking about the expedition during which the incident took place, Eddie Bauer reiterated that the main aim of the Africa kayak expedition was to know more about the whitewater of the region that continues to remain unexplored while also concentrating on the people and the free water issue that exists in Central Africa.
Despite the fact that it is being presumed that Hendrick Coetzee was killed by the crocodile attack, his body has not been recovered till now. The two American kayakers who were able to escape unscathed in the incident are still in Congo at present but are expected to return to United States shortly.
- Werner Coetzee has a lucky escape from a Great White Shark attack - Dec 24, 2011
- British TV show host hooks croc-eating giant piranha - Oct 21, 2010
- Sri Lanka to catch man-eating crocodiles - Apr 13, 2012
- Kayaker sets 82-feet world record by plunging down Oregon's Metlako Falls - May 27, 2010
- The crocs of Bhitarkanika: A problem of plenty? (With Image) - May 21, 2012
- Crocodile kills minor in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 16, 2011
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: South Africa blank Ukraine - Feb 19, 2012
- Olympics: Canoe sprint gold for New Zealand's Carrington - Aug 11, 2012
- Russell Crowe rescued by coast guard - Sep 04, 2012
- Indian Army engineers summit Mount Kamet - Jun 08, 2011
- Brave Oz father reveals how he fought off croc attack in waterhole - Feb 13, 2011
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: South Africa beat Canada 4-1 - Feb 24, 2012
- 27-foot crocs roamed east Africa - May 07, 2012
- Oz fisherman survives after battling with 4m crocodile for 15 minutes - Mar 10, 2011
- Australian punches attacking croc, escapes - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: aim, central africa, crocodile, crocodile attack, deepest condolences, democratic republic of congo, eddie bauer, family and friends, free water, gina gomez, hendrik, johannesburg, kayak expedition, kayakers, republic of congo, tragedy, tragic incident, tragic twist, twist of fate, water issue