Norwegians battle butter shortageDecember 8th, 2011 - 10:18 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Oslo, Dec 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Norwegians have developed a huge appetite for butter which has overwhelmed producers. The country is currently in a race against time to get enough butter for the coming Christmas holidays.
Dairy farmers in the country have admitted that they were overwhelmed with demand for butter. Almost all the dairy producers reported that their stockpile of butter has run out. So what is to be blamed for the butter craze in the Scandinavian nation?
Norwegians have embraced a new diet style that suggests that consuming high fat, low carbohydrate diet is healthy. The rush for the dairy has pushed its price to as much as four times the previous price. Top Internet auction sites in the country are offering the dairy for sale.
Ironically, Norway shares a border with the world’s biggest producer of butter, Denmark. Dairy producers in Denmark can’t take their produce to their neighbors because of the high import taxes that they will incur.
As the Christmas season approaches, dairy farmers feel helpless in the situation because the demand is only set to get higher.
One farmer said that, “Sales all of a sudden just soared, 20 percent in October then 30 percent in November.”
- UAE holds talks with Norway, Denmark, Hungary - Dec 15, 2011
- Norway to lift sanctions against Myanmar - Jan 15, 2012
- Organic milk ad making waves in cyberspace - Nov 16, 2010
- Russian moms protest Norway taking away their kids - Mar 21, 2012
- Sweden finds possible debris from missing Norwegian plane - Mar 17, 2012
- 'Catastrophic' twin attacks kill 87 in Norway (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Norway holds memorial for twin attack victims - Aug 22, 2011
- India condemns Norway massacre - Jul 23, 2011
- It's an attack on democratic values: Norwegian minister (Interview) - Jul 23, 2011
- Kerala woos tourists from Scandinavian countries - Nov 20, 2011
- Norway may give Indian kids' custody to uncle (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- China to stockpile sugar - Feb 09, 2012
- Researchers crack dietary code for weight loss - Nov 25, 2010
- Norwegian mass killer sentenced to 21 years in jail (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- NRI children: Uncle to leave for Norway, India steps up pressure (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: appetite, auction sites, christmas holidays, christmas season, dairy farmers, dairy producers, denmark, import taxes, internet auction, ironically, low carbohydrate diet, neighbors, norway, norwegians, oslo, race against time, rush, scandinavian nation, stockpile, top internet