North Korea prepares ICBM for launchJune 3rd, 2009 - 7:31 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
A South Korean newspaper has reported that an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) has been brought to an assembly hall at a new launch site on North Korea’s northwest coast.
According to the JoongAng Ilbo the missile appears to be a larger version of the Taepodong 2 rocket that North Korea is believed to have fired on April 5.
The medium-range missiles are considered threats to South Korea and Japan, which both lie in their ranges.
Tensions with North Korea escalated with the April missile launch and a nuclear test last week, both of which have brought world-wide condemnation.
Despite the criticism North Korea fired six short-range missiles after the nuclear test, its second after an initial one in 2006, and now appears to be preparing to launch another long-range missile.
The United States fears that if the Taepodong undergoes further technical development that it could be equipped with a nuclear warhead and could reach western US territory.
- North Korea assembling long-range missile, says report - Jun 03, 2009
- Agni-V, India's 'China Killer' (To go with Agni-V launch story) - Apr 19, 2012
- North Korea fires two missiles, claims South Korea - Jul 02, 2009
- World media looks at Indian missile through China prism - Apr 20, 2012
- Pakistan test-fires n-capable missile (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- North Korea fires four missiles, claims South Korea (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2009
- India creates history, tests 5,000 km Agni-V missile (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- North Korea fires three missiles, claims South Korea (Lead) - Jul 02, 2009
- Pakistan to test-fire n-missile - May 19, 2012
- Pakistan tests nuclear capable, short-range missile (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Agni-V can reach targets 8,000 km away: Chinese researcher - Apr 20, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile propels India into elite club (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Pakistan successfully tests Hatf III missile - May 10, 2012
Tags: assembly hall, condemnation, fears, intercontinental ballistic missile, intercontinental ballistic missile icbm, japan, joongang ilbo, medium range missiles, missile launch, north korea, northwest coast, nuclear test, nuclear warhead, range missile, south korea, taepodong 2, tensions