Nobel Laureate Norman Borlaug Dies At 95September 14th, 2009 - 7:06 am ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Nobel Prize winner, Norman Borlaug, an agricultural scientist expired at the age of 95, in Texas. Texas A&M University spokeswoman Kathleen Phillips told sources that Borlaug passed away shortly before 11 pm Saturday, in his Dallas Home.
Popularly called father of the “green revolution”, the man was honored with the Nobel Prize for his scientific resolutions in tackling world poverty. The achiever was also paid respect by the Nobel committee in 1970 for his unmatched contributions in high-yield produce and several agricultural developments. Many experts would agree and support the notion that it was due to his solutions and innovations that global famine could be averted successfully in the later half of the 20th century.
There are few like Borlaug whose rich ideas and techniques work wonders for a billion people at one time, saving most of their lives. He devoted his life to a noble cause, revealing the advantages of crop breeding to many developed nations, that resulted favorably in increased crop production, which was the need of the hour with respect to population explosion.
The scientific pioneer belonged to Cresco, Iowa, and is credited for being the little god who rescued the largest number of people on his planet. Beginning to take an avid interest in plant breeding in the 1940s, he later formulated high-yielding varieties in Wheat. He came to the aid of famine struck Indians and Pakistanis during the mid-1960s, along with a Mexican expert team, so that with time India’s produce grew sevenfold.
He recently got the Congressional Gold Medal, the most coveted civilian award in America.
- Green Revolution pioneer Norman Borlaug dies at 95 - Sep 13, 2009
- Norman Borlaug's death marks end of an era: PM - Sep 14, 2009
- Indian wins first Borlaug field research award - Aug 28, 2012
- Bio-technology the only way to combat world hunger: Experts - Oct 20, 2011
- Pawar mourns death of Norman Borlaug - Sep 13, 2009
- Three Borlaug institutes to come up in India - Oct 05, 2011
- Decks cleared for Borlaug Institute in Bihar - Feb 01, 2012
- New institute to usher second green revolution: PM - Aug 15, 2010
- Punjab gets Borlaug institute of agriculture - Oct 02, 2011
- Badal wants farm science institute in Punjab - Feb 24, 2010
- Economy is strong, we will tackle inflation, infrastructure: PM (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
- India can be agricultural superpower: farm cooperative chief - May 03, 2010
- Farmers forum petitions PM on Norman Borlaug stamp - Oct 15, 2009
- Food security necessary to prevent peoples' backlash: NAFED chief (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Borlaug Institute to be set up for crop research - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: achiever, agricultural developments, agricultural scientist, congressional gold medal, cresco iowa, crop production, developed nations, expert team, green revolution, kathleen phillips, m university, mid 1960s, nobel committee, nobel laureate, nobel prize winner, norman borlaug, pakistanis, population explosion, time india, world poverty