Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in MoscowAugust 1st, 2011 - 1:01 am ICT by BNO News
MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) — Eight people have been confirmed dead and a ninth person is presumed to have drowned after a pleasure boat collided with a cargo barge and sank in the Moscow River on Sunday, Russia’s Emergencies Ministry said.
A spokesperson for the ministry said that eight of the 16 people on board were killed, while seven were rescued after the private pleasure boat Lastochka sank in the center of the Russian capital. A ninth person is presumed to have drowned.
An Investigative Committee said that the vessel, which was registered in Russia’s easternmost province of Chukotka, had permission to carry no more than 12 passengers, according to the RIA Novosti news agency.
The captain of the boat Gennady Zinger, who was also the boat’s owner, was among the dead and had already been fined three times this year for exceeding the number of passengers on board his vessel. A criminal investigation has been launched into the violation of water transport safety and operation rules.
The incident comes after the ‘Bulgaria’ cruise ship carrying 201 people capsized and sank on the Volga River in Russia on July 10, killing 122 passengers, including children. Only 79 people were rescued.
The vessel, which was build over 50 years ago, had its last renovation done some 30 years ago and lacked license and paperwork for carrying passengers. In addition, the vessel had several safety discrepancies, including a broken engine and extreme overloading.
Following the sinking of the cruise ship Bulgaria, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev ordered total checks of all passenger transport in the country.
- Nine killed in Moscow river boat accident - Jul 31, 2011
- Russia bans ships similar to sunken Bulgaria riverboat - Jul 17, 2011
- Toll in Russia ship capsize rises to 54 (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- 'Maximum punishment for captains of vessels passing sinking ship' - Jul 12, 2011
- Toll in Russian ship wreck rises to 83 - Jul 12, 2011
- Over 100 people missing, 80 rescued as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 11, 2011
- Russian sunken ship toll rises to 120 - Jul 25, 2011
- Russia begins lifting sunken ship from Volga - Jul 22, 2011
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- 12 feared dead after ferry sinks in eastern China - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia unveils new electric train for Sochi Olympics - May 31, 2012
- Nine Puja revellers drown in Bihar - Oct 05, 2011
- 11 Russian sailors drown on rescue bid in the Arctic - Aug 28, 2010
- Russian border guards rescue Dutch kayaker - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: barge, bno, criminal investigation, cruise ship, dmitry medvedev, easternmost province, investigative committee, moscow river, ninth person, passenger transport, pleasure boat, private pleasure, ria novosti news, river in russia, russian capital, russian president, transport safety, volga river, water transport, zinger