New York Rattled By Severe StormSeptember 17th, 2010 - 8:10 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
New York, Sep 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A powerful storm rattled New York City Thursday evening and the residents were caught unaware. The afternoon sky turned black all of a sudden and the city was soon hit by tornado-like squalls. The commuters wee the worst hit and they got stranded in several places. A chaotic situation prevailed in the city for several hours. The Pennsylvania Station got overcrowded and the officials stalled access to it. The place became overcrowded after rail service came to a halt following felling of trees. The boroughs that were hit the hardest by the storm are Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.
The residents in these places had a harrowing time as many tress fell on the porches and staircases in their houses. They had to cut the trees with axes after the storm. The weather experts are of the opinion that New York is going through extreme weather conditions this year. It witnessed a huge snowfall in February followed by a rough summer season. The storm came at a time when the weather was generally pleasant and calm and nobody expected such a change.
The city was hit by deafening thunder and deafening lightning. The commuters got lashed by rain soon. The people who were leaving office and were not prepared suffered the most. A person died when he was hit by a falling tree in queens. The storm evaporated just as suddenly it had appeared. The storm though brief was severe in nature and the traffic movements in NYC was hugely affected by it. The speed of wind reached 80 km per hour the met officials said later.
- Tornado-like storm wreaks havoc in New York City killing one, destroying buildings - Sep 17, 2010
- New York Still Recovering From Yesterday's Storm - Sep 17, 2010
- Tornado Hits Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan And Staten Islands - Sep 17, 2010
- New York blizzard: Residents asked to be patient amid chaos - Dec 29, 2010
- Thunder squall disrupts train, Metro services in Kolkata - Apr 09, 2012
- New York adds 6,200 more hotel rooms - Mar 30, 2011
- Heavy storm causes chaos in New York - Sep 17, 2010
- Residents Clean Up Their Properties In Salt Lake City After Storm Ravages The Place - Aug 25, 2010
- Dust storm, rains in Patna - Apr 19, 2011
- Storm knocks Washington powerless (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- NYC Marathon 2010 To Host Runners From All Over The World - Nov 07, 2010
- Thunderstorm briefly prompts New York City tornado warning - Aug 28, 2011
- Storms claim 56 lives in India - May 20, 2011
- Summer rains bring relief to northern India (Roundup) - May 22, 2011
- US East Coast braces for monstrous hurricane - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: afternoon sky, axes, boroughs, brooklyn, chaotic situation, commuters, extreme weather conditions, pennsylvania station, porches, powerful storm, ranjan, rough summer, snowfall, squalls, staircases, staten island, tornado, traffic movements, tress, weather experts