New OAS report expresses concern about anti-Semitism in VenezuelaMarch 9th, 2010 - 3:45 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) has issued a new report that reviews civil, political, and social rights in the Latin American nation, expressing concern about reports of anti-Semitic incidents targeting the Venezuelan Jewish community.
The report cites written testimony from B’nai B’rith International Assistant Director of the Center for Human Rights and Public Policy Adriana Camisar, who noted several anti-Semitic incidents, including graffiti that had appeared on Jewish buildings in Venezuela with slogans such as “Child Killer,” “Jews Out,” and “Jewish Dogs.” Camisar also noted a growing number of swastikas on Jewish institutions.
“This report provides conclusive evidence of the Venezuelan government’s hostility toward Jews,” B’nai B’rith International President Dennis W. Glick said. “The fact that Caracas did not cooperate at all with the report, even denying IACHR inspectors into the country for first-hand observation, demonstrates how closed and repressive Venezuela has become.”
An independent arm of the Organization of American States, the IACHR noted numerous violations of democracy and human rights in addition to issues of anti-Semitism.
“Venezuela, under President Hugo Chavez, has become inhospitable to all seekers of democracy and human rights,” B’nai B’rith International Executive Vice President Daniel S. Mariaschin said.
“When not overtly or covertly encouraging anti-Semitic acts, Caracas turns a blind eye to incidents that a democratic government should forcefully condemn. It is unacceptable for anti-Semitism and other hate crimes to be endorsed—either overtly or covertly—by a government.”
- Jewish organization condemns shooting incident at U.S. Holocaust Museum - Jun 11, 2009
- B'nai B'rith International congratulates Israel on invitation to join international economic group - May 11, 2010
- Alec Baldwin advises Charlie Sheen: Beg for your job back - Mar 13, 2011
- Canada investigating waving of LTTE flags at Toronto rally - Mar 19, 2009
- Dita Von Teese victim of Anti-Semitism - Aug 31, 2010
- Dita Von Teese sues ex-landlord over 'Mel Gibson-like anti-Semitic rant' - Aug 31, 2010
- Oliver Stone in soup over comments on Jews, Hitler - Jul 27, 2010
- Eva Green worried about designer John Galliano - Jun 08, 2011
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- Israel President denies calling British 'anti-Semites' - Aug 02, 2010
- Holocaust soap made from human fat on sale in Canada! - Mar 27, 2010
- Anti-Semetism at an all time low of 12 percent amongst Americans - Oct 30, 2009
- John Galliano to sue couple accusing him of making Asian slurs - Feb 27, 2011
- Internet campaign alleges George VI 'had Nazi sympathies' - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Judaism' most popular religion in the US - Dec 25, 2010
Tags: anti semitism, bno, child killer, conclusive evidence, democracy and human rights, hand observation, hate crimes, hugo chavez, independent arm, international executive, jewish buildings, jewish institutions, latin american nation, organization of american states, president daniel, president hugo chavez, rith, semitic incidents, swastikas, venezuelan government