New dog breeds recognized by AKCJune 30th, 2010 - 8:24 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Jun 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The American Kennel Club has announced the recognition of 3 new foreign dog breeds. There has been a further increase in the number of dog breeds available in the US, so the AKC was forced to recognize the new dog breeds.
The AKC has confirmed that the Icelandic Sheepdog, the Cane Corso and the Leonberger are the 3 lucky ones, which have been added to the list of 164 breeds, which are already recognized by them in an exclusive interview with TODAYshow.com.
AKC spokeswoman Christina Duffney said that “It’s great: We’re adding three new dogs to our registry. As of Wednesday, they’re able to compete in shows and take part in any AKC activity.”
These 3 breeds of dogs have been around for thousands of years, but they are being given the recognition now. Icelandic Sheepdogs originated from Iceland, where they were used to herd sheep and cattle. They are also said to be one of the oldest dog breeds in the world.
The Leonberger originates from Germany and have been around since the 1800’s. They are normally used as rescue dogs. The Cane Corso dog can be easily trained and is very friendly.
- Three New Dog Breeds Added To AKC Registry - Jun 30, 2010
- "Leonberger" Dog And "Cane Corso" Joins AKC Family - Jun 30, 2010
- American Kennel Club Welcomes Three New Dog Breeds - Jun 30, 2010
- American Kennel Club Recognizes Three New Breeds - Jan 29, 2011
- Labrador Retriever named America's top dog - Jan 27, 2011
- Dogs overtaking cats as UK's favourite pet - Apr 03, 2011
- Westminster Dog Show 2012 will showcase new breeds - Jan 25, 2012
- No dog is a dud, just a mismatch with its owner: Expert - Sep 14, 2010
- Kashmir's Bakharwal dog could be gone in four years (Feature) - Apr 26, 2012
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
- World's smallest cow enters Guinness Book of World Records - Sep 16, 2010
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Being Considered As An 'Idol' Judge - Jul 29, 2010
- Chinese farmer claims sheep gave birth to 'puppy' - Mar 26, 2011
- Australians try to stop sheep burping to reduce methane emissions - Nov 30, 2009
- Dogs' human-like social skills make them man's best friend - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: akc, american kennel club, breeds of dogs, cane corso, cane corso dog, cattle, christina, dog breeds, germany, icelandic sheepdog, icelandic sheepdogs, leonberger, lucky ones, rescue dogs, sheep, spokeswoman, york jun