New bicentennial Lincoln penny shows Lincoln as a teenagerMay 15th, 2009 - 10:22 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
More than 3,000 people gathered at a southern Indiana park for the release of a new one penny (one cent) coin that pays homage to Abraham Lincoln’s years as a young man in Indiana.
Lincoln, who went on to become the 16th president of the United States, spent 14-years in Spencer County, Ind., before going on to lead America though its greatest internal crisis, the American Civil War, and putting an end to slavery.
One hundred and forty-four years after his assassination, and to commemorate what would have been his bicentenary year, the US Mint has issued a four-design series of Lincoln pennies depicting his life.
The first bicentenary Lincoln penny was issued in Hodgenville in February and depicted his boyhood log cabin. The second coin issued on Thursday depicts Lincoln as a young man in Indiana. The third Lincoln penny in the series will commemorate Lincoln’s days as a lawyer in Illinois, while the fourth will have Lincoln standing in front of a partially built Capital Dome at the time of his inauguration in 1861.
Supplies of the first Lincoln penny in the series were quickly snapped up by collectors and dealers with their value skyrocketing to $US0.25 each or $US10 per roll – compared to a face value of $US0.50 per roll.
About 635 million of the first two Lincoln penny Bicentennial designs will be minted and a Lincoln silver dollar will also be minted this year.
- US Mint Unveils New Lincoln Penny - May 15, 2009
- US President wants cheaper pennies and nickels - Feb 16, 2012
- Canada to drop penny from circulation - Jul 31, 2012
- Russian Winter Olympic mascots to appear on coins - Feb 22, 2012
- With Gold Too Pricey, US Mint Brings Back The Silver Eagle Coin - Nov 20, 2010
- Rare 1793 Penny fetches more than $1 million at Florida auction - Jan 09, 2012
- Britain issues coin on William's engagement - Dec 22, 2010
- Canada unveils coins celebrating British royal wedding - Apr 07, 2011
- China's largest gold coin auctioned for $1.18 mn - May 16, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee releases Rs.150 commemorative coin - Feb 26, 2011
- Critics slam likeness of Wills, Kate on new commemorative coin - Dec 24, 2010
- Holocaust Museum Urges Romania To Withdraw Racist Coin - Aug 03, 2010
- Holocaust Museum Demands That Romania Scrap New Racist Coin - Aug 03, 2010
- China issues coins on 90th anniversary of CPC (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- New Royal coin downplays Will's bald patch in commemorative medal - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: 16th president, abraham lincoln, american civil war, bicentennial, boyhood, capital dome, face value, hodgenville, homage, inauguration, indiana park, internal crisis, lincoln pennies, lincoln penny, log cabin, president of the united states, silver dollar, southern indiana, spencer county, us mint