Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot detained in Central ChileJune 4th, 2010 - 3:18 am ICT by BNO News
SANTIAGO, CHILE (BNO NEWS) — A Dutch man who is the prime suspect in the disappearance of American teenager Natalee Holloway and was being sought in connection with the murder of a young woman in Peru, was detained in central Chile on Thursday, police confirmed to BNO News.
Douglas Rodriguez, a top police officer with the Chilean Investigation Police, said Joran van der Sloot, 22, was detained on Thursday afternoon when he was traveling in a Taxi from the capital of Santiago to Viña del Mar in Central Chile. He was brought in by Chilean Police and Van der Sloot is currently being held at the Investigation Police headquarters in Santiago.
Police sources said that he did not resisted them and immediately surrendered to detectives. He calmly walked with them without handcuffs, ignored the numerous reporters shouting his name outside the police station, and he left the scene without saying anything.
Joran van der Sloot will likely be placed under house confinement until an official arrest can be made in connection with the murder in Peru. Chilean police confirmed to BNO News that there is no international arrest warrant issued. His residence will be monitored to prevent any attempts to escape.
Police in the Peruvian capital of Lima said Van der Sloot is the main suspect in the murder of 21-year-old Stephany Tatiana Flores Ramirez, whose body was found in the Miraflores District of Lima in the early morning hours on Wednesday.
Authorities said the body of Ramirez was found covered in blood in the hotel room of Van der Sloot, at the Tac Hotel in Lima. She is believed to have died from multiple stab wounds.
Friends of Flores said she had left them around 2.45 a.m. local time on Sunday, and then went to visit a casino in Lima. Several hours later, at 5.16 a.m., Flores was seen leaving the casino while in the company of Van der Sloot. Her car was later found in another part of the city.
Van der Sloot arrived in Peru from Argentina on May 13, according to police, who said he left Peru by road on Monday afternoon. He entered Chile on a tourist visa.
The victim’s father, Ricardo Flores, urged authorities to arrest him. “This is not his first murder. In 2005 he killed another girl,” Ricardo said, referring to Natalee Holloway. “But because the body was not found, he was released.”
Ricardo said he appealed to police to help apprehend Van der Sloot. ” I don’t want to see more people suffering,” he said. “I want to avoid that this man continues to kill.”
American teenager Natalee Holloway went missing on May 30, 2005 during a high school graduation trip to Aruba. The case received international media attention, but her body was never found.
Van der Sloot remains the prime suspect in her disappearance, and made several ‘confessions’ during interviews with hidden cameras. Real evidence, however, was never found.
- Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot arrested in central Chile - Police - Jun 04, 2010
- Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot en-route to Peru - Jun 04, 2010
- Joran van der Sloot arrives in Lima to face murder charges - Jun 06, 2010
- Suspect in disappearance of Natalee Holloway accused of murder in Peru - Jun 03, 2010
- Joran Van Der Sloot Charged In Peru Murder Case - Jun 03, 2010
- BREAKING: Joran Van Der Sloot Arrested in Santiago for Peru Murder! - Jun 04, 2010
- Joran Van Der Sloot Confesses Murdering 21 Year Old Woman In Lima - Jun 11, 2010
- Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot spotted in northern Chilean city - Jun 03, 2010
- Fox News: Joran van der Sloot lied during confession - Jun 11, 2010
- Joran van der Sloot, suspect in disappearance of Natalee Holloway accused of murder in Peru - Jun 02, 2010
- BREAKING: Natalie Holloway Suspect Joran Van Der Sloot Accused of Peru Murder - Jun 02, 2010
- Pics Released! Joran Van Der Sloot Arrested W/ Shaved Head, No Handcuffs - Jun 04, 2010
- Joran van der Sloot admits extortion of Holloway family - Sep 06, 2010
- Van der Sloot alleges that a thief killed the Peruvian woman - Jun 14, 2010
- Aruba prosecutor: Not informed by Peruvian police about Joran van der Sloot's recent confessions about Holloway - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: american teenager, bno, central chile, chile santiago, chilean police, douglas rodriguez, dutch man, handcuffs, international arrest warrant, joran van der sloot, multiple stab wounds, murder suspect, peruvian capital, police headquarters, police sources, prime suspect, santiago chile, stephany, thursday afternoon, vina del mar