Movie on Hostage Captain in the pipelineMay 31st, 2009 - 1:02 am ICT by GD
It made headlines when Richard Philips, the captain of a cargo ship, Maersk Alabama, was held hostage for several days by pirates on the lawless Somalia coast. This story will now be made into a film by Columbia Pictures, which has obtained rights for the same.
Richard was held hostage on a life boat by the pirates. He was freed by the US Navy shooters who shot dead three pirates to free the Captain. Doug Belegard, the co-president of Columbia Pictures calls the Captain’s story one of “heroism and courage”, which indeed it was. The courageous Captain had volunteered to be a hostage so that the pirates would let the crew go free. The fifty three year-old Captain Richard Philips received a hero’s welcome on his return.
Richard Philips’ heroic spirit was lauded by none other than President Obama himself, who said that the rescue of the Captain was the prime concern of the US Navy. Obama had also praised the successful efforts of the Navy in freeing Captain Philips. The President made it quite clear that he was “resolved to halt the rise of piracy in that region and to achieve that goal we’re going to have to continue to work with our partners to prevent future attacks.” However, the act of killing the pirates to free the Captain enraged the pirates further, who have reportedly said that from now on they will kill the hostages.
It is not yet known as to who will be short-listed for assaying the role of the courageous Captain. Actor Kevin Spacey is co-producing the film. Columbia Pictures said that it was too early to specify a possible date of the film’s release.
- Kevin Spacey plans film on US hero Capt. Richard Phillips' ordeal at sea - May 29, 2009
- Tom Hanks to star in Somali pirates movie - Mar 17, 2011
- Pirates attack Maersk Alabama again - Nov 18, 2009
- Somali pirates negotiate with US Navy over hostage - Apr 10, 2009
- Tom Hanks to play Capt. Phillips in Somali Pirates movie - Mar 17, 2011
- Snipers kill three pirates, free US ship captain (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Somalian pirates attack US ship for second time in seven months - Nov 19, 2009
- Another piracy attempt foiled, 16 pirates held - Mar 27, 2011
- Somali pirates foil US captain's escape attempt - Apr 10, 2009
- US ship crew call for anti-piracy action - Apr 13, 2009
- Hanks to play sea captain - Mar 17, 2011
- Somali pirates demand ransom as US Navy sends more ships - Apr 11, 2009
- US Navy steps up pressure on Somali pirates (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- US captain's rescue may mean trouble for other hostages - Apr 14, 2009
- Wife of rescued captain awaits his pirate tale - Apr 14, 2009
Tags: actor kevin, captain doug, captain richard, cargo ship, co president, columbia pictures, courageous captain, heroic spirit, heroism, hostage, hostages, kevin spacey, life boat, maersk, old captain, pirates, prime concern, richard philips, shooters, us navy