More than 50 NYC cabbies accused of doubling fares by fixing their metersSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 10:01 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York City, Sep 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Many residents of the New York City didn’t have a clue that they were being charged double the fare for their cab ride, by some unscrupulous NYC cab drivers. According to reports, the cabbies had manipulated their meters in such a way that the double fare was being charged automatically. Police officials said that 59 such unscrupulous cab drivers have been caught and arrested.
There were also reports that six of the arrested drivers were so smart that they had fixed their meters in such a way that they were charging their passengers for ‘suburban’ rate, while driving in the main city all the time. And by doing this, they managed to rake in excess of $10,000 each.
According to the Manhattan district attorney, one of the drivers, overcharged more than 5000 passengers during the period of November 2008 to June 2010. His ignorant passengers have on an average paid an extra $5 every time, they availed the services of his cab.
“With the imperceptible tap of a button, taxi riders went from trusting customers to the unwitting targets of a widespread con operation,” District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance said.
“It might’ve happened, and I might not have known about it,” according to lawyer Robert Davis, who was visiting NYC from Washington, D.C.
- 59 NY cabbies charged in massive double-rate fare 'scam' - Sep 24, 2010
- 59 Cabbies In NYC Accused Of Committing the Offense Of Doubling Fares - Sep 23, 2010
- New York City's Cabbies In Trouble For Doubling Fare - Sep 23, 2010
- 59 Cabbies in NYC Accused of Doubling Fares - Sep 23, 2010
- 36,000 New York cabbies involved in massive 8.3-mn dollar meter scam - Mar 13, 2010
- Pakistani cabbie takes New Yorkers for a ride! - Mar 02, 2010
- Indian-origin cabbie steals 40,000 dollars in New York's biggest rider rip-off - Mar 02, 2010
- When 50 taxi drivers in China helped an ailing colleague - Sep 08, 2012
- Can anyone make Goa's cabbies charge by meter? (Letter from Goa) - May 03, 2012
- Three taxi drivers attacked in Brisbane - Jun 06, 2010
- NYC Regulators Want New Dress Code for Cabbies - Nov 27, 2010
- Indian cabbie escapes robbery bid in Australia - Jun 20, 2010
- After court order on Kolkata cabs, 'alternative' arrangements planned - Mar 31, 2012
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Chinese cabbies to be fined for refusals - Jan 19, 2012