More Than 100 Arrested In Oakland RiotsNovember 6th, 2010 - 7:38 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Nov 6, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Authorities in Oakland were braced for the violence that would have accompanied the Mehserle sentencing on Friday but not many could have predicted that it would lead to more than a hundred arrests. The protesters began with a peaceful gathering at downtown Oakland near the City Hall. They listened to and sang songs about the killing of Oscar Grant and gradually with the news of the sentencing began a more aggressive campaign. The demonstrators started to verbally abuse the police officers who were ready in riot gear and some of them also made obscene gestures at them.
The officers tried to stop the crowd from going into the residential areas but soon after dawn the demonstrations started to get more violent. As more and more car windows and shops were damaged the cops began to try and disburse the crowd. As things got really ugly one of the protesters snatched a gun from one of the police officers. The incident caused the Oakland police chief Anthony Batts to take more effective action and he ordered the mob to be arrested. Soon the police began to round up on the troublemakers and arrest them.
Earlier in Los Angeles, the Superior Court Judge Robert J Perry seemed aware of the sensitivity of the case and said that his reading out of the sentence might offend a number of people but he tried his best to get justice in the case. He sentenced Johannes Mehserle to 2 years in prison and also awarded him a 292 day credit for the time that he had already spent in prison.
- Johannes Mehserle Sentencing Causes Furore - Nov 06, 2010
- Johannes Mehserle Sentenced To Two Years By Los Angeles Court - Nov 06, 2010
- Protesters Feel Oscar Grant Was Denied Justice - Nov 06, 2010
- Oakland Resident Recalls Riot Scene - Nov 07, 2010
- Riots Spark Off In Oakland After Mehserle Verdict - Jul 09, 2010
- Johannes Mehserle Trial Verdict Approaches, Oakland Prepares For Consequences - Jul 02, 2010
- BART Protest Carried Out, No Arrests Made - Apr 09, 2010
- Johannes Mehserle Found Guilty Of Involuntary Manslaughter - Jul 09, 2010
- Occupy activists arrested in several US cities - Nov 14, 2011
- Oakland mayor tired of 'Occupy Oakland' protestors - Jan 30, 2012
- Occupy Oakland protestors find a new camp for their campaign - Nov 23, 2011
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- 85 protesters arrested in US - Oct 26, 2011
- Egyptian protesters clash with police in anti-government protests - Jan 26, 2011
- Protests begin in Libya: Report - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: aggressive campaign, car windows, city hall, crowd, demonstrations, demonstrators, effective action, judge robert, kar, mob, oakland police, obscene gestures, police chief, police officers, protesters, residential areas, riot gear, riots, superior court judge, troublemakers