Montana cow gives birth to tripletsApril 23rd, 2011 - 12:35 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Montana, April 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A cow in Montana defied the odds and gave birth to triplets. Rarer is the fact that all three calves are being nursed by the mother. The owner of the ranch says all the babies are well and healthy.
The cow is housed at the Lance and Erika Chaney’s ranch. Scientists at the Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine place the odds of a beef cow having three babies at the same time at one in 105,000. According to the vets, the odds are much higher than that in cases where all three calves survive.
The cow is tagged Cow No. 403. It belongs to Lance Chaney who is a fourth generation rancher. His ranch contains about 300 grown cows. There are several hundreds of calves in the ranch as well. In an interview with the Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Chaney said there have been several births of twins in the ranch in the past. However this is the first time that triplets have been born in the ranch.
The animals were born on Monday. At birth, the calves weighed 40 pounds. Two of the calves are female and the remaining one is a male.
- British mom delivers rare identical triplets - Aug 05, 2012
- Mexican woman pregnant with nine babies - Apr 27, 2012
- One out of 30 babies born in US is a twin - Apr 03, 2012
- Woman dies after being attacked by cow in Iowa - Jun 20, 2011
- Hearst zebras killed by angry neighbors - Jan 13, 2011
- IVF babies from frozen embryos healthier - Jan 09, 2012
- Woman gives birth after lying upside down for 75 days - Mar 09, 2012
- 18-year-old gives birth to triplets - Nov 20, 2011
- 100 babies aborted in Britain by women not wanting multiple births - Dec 29, 2011
- "Dead" baby elephant calf comes to life at Sydney zoo! - Mar 10, 2010
- Premature, underweight triplets doing well - Nov 23, 2011
- Mexican woman with nine babies a fraud, say doctors - May 01, 2012
- Pollution ups odds of premature birth by 30 percent - Oct 07, 2011
- Baby twin giraffes born in China zoo - Dec 18, 2010
- Tripura woman gives birth to triplets - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: animals, beef cow, births, bozeman daily chronicle, calves, chaney, college of veterinary medicine, cows, generation rancher, medicine, montana, odds, s college, scientists, three babies, triplets, twins, vets, washington state university