Moderate earthquake hits off the coast of British ColumbiaJuly 20th, 2010 - 1:11 am ICT by BNO News
PORT HARDY, B.C., CANADA (BNO NEWS) — A moderate earthquake struck off the coast of British Columbia in Canada on Monday morning, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage or casualties.
The 5.1-magnitude earthquake at 10.15 a.m. local time (1715 GMT) was centered about 117 miles (188 kilometers) west-southwest of Port Hardy, a small community on the north-eastern coast of Vancouver Island in British Columbia. It struck about 0.6 mile (1 kilometer) deep, according to the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center.
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the earthquake, and it is unlikely that any perceived strong shaking.
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Oct 13, 2011
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
- Moderate 5.3-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon - Jul 28, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Light earthquake shakes southern California, felt in San Diego - Jun 13, 2010
- Tsunami watch in effect for India, other areas canceled after 7.5 quake in the Indian Ocean - Jun 13, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: alaska tsunami warning, alaska tsunami warning center, bno, british columbia, canada, casualties, earthquake hits, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, mile 1, moderate earthquake, monday morning, seismologists, tsunami, tsunami warning center, vancouver island, west coast and alaska tsunami warning center, west southwest