Moderate 5.7-magnitude earthquake rocks northeastern IranJuly 30th, 2010 - 9:29 pm ICT by BNO News
TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) — A moderate earthquake struck northeastern Iran on late Friday afternoon, seismologists said, but it was not immediately clear if there were any casualties.
The 5.7-magnitude earthquake at 6.20 p.m. local time (1350 GMT) was centered approximately 7 kilometers (4.3 miles) from Torbat-e Heydarieh, a city in the country’s Razavi Khorasan province. It struck about 7 kilometers (4.3 miles) deep, making it a very shallow earthquake, according to the Iranian Seismological Center.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) measured the strength of the earthquake at 5.6 on the Richter scale.
The USGS estimated that around 164,000 people likely perceived ‘very strong’ shaking as a result of the earthquake, which could potentially result in moderate to heavy damage. “Overall, the population in this region resides in structures that are highly vulnerable to earthquake shaking, though some resistant structures exist,” it said.
The agency further estimated that around 50,000 people likely perceived strong shaking, while around 4.5 million others likely perceived light to moderate shaking.
It was not immediately clear if there was any damage or if there were any casualties from the earthquake, but small and moderate earthquakes sometimes cause heavy damage in certain parts of the country due to poor construction.
In November 2009, a light 4.9-magnitude earthquake struck the southern Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas, injuring more than 700 people.
And in 2003, at least 25,000 people where killed when a 6.7 earthquake struck near Bam in Kerman province of southeastern Iran.
- Iran earthquake toll rises to 306 dead, more than 3,000 injured - Aug 14, 2012
- Strong earthquake rocks southeastern Iran, casualties unknown - Dec 21, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Cuba's coast, no damage - Sep 15, 2011
- Damage reported after moderate earthquake rattles southern Iran - Jan 05, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Over 100 hurt in Iran quake - Jul 31, 2010
- Moderate earthquake jolts Japan's Honshu island - Sep 29, 2010
- At least one dead after strong earthquake strikes southern Iran - Sep 28, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong quake strikes Russia-Mongolia border region, no damage - Feb 27, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Strong quake shakes northeastern Japan, no damage reported - Mar 31, 2011
- Up to 1,000 feared dead after powerful quake devastates eastern Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
- Moderate earthquake hits offshore northern California - Aug 16, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,