Mintel Watch Study: Wristwatches may be on their way outOctober 27th, 2010 - 8:46 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Oct 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A new study has revealed that wristwatches are in danger of extinction.
The research which was carried out by Mintel revealed that more people especially those at the age of 25 years and less were more likely to check the time on their mobile phone rather than their wrist watch.
The research however found that about 86 percent of the respondents had a wristwatch but 90 percent of them also had a mobile phone.
It is believed that the decline in the use of wristwatches can be attributed to the increase in the number of gadgets that can inform us of the time. More gadgets from mobile phone to the microwave oven are all offering accurate time and the need to carry wristwatch on the wrist is not seen as a necessity by many.
The research revealed that those at the age of 25 and below were 50 percent likely to stop wearing a watch than their counterparts in their forties upwards. Twenty eight percent of the people at the age of up to 25 years did not own a wristwatch.
The research also revealed that watches are now seen more as a fashion accessory than a time telling device.
- Mintel Watch Survey Shows Time May Be Up for Wristwatches - Oct 28, 2010
- Cell phones edging out wrist watches in telling time - Oct 27, 2010
- It may be the end of time for the humble wristwatch - Oct 27, 2010
- Men 'more likely to rate technology as a necessity of life than women' - Oct 19, 2010
- 1 in 5 youngsters in UK has television in their bedroom by the age of four - Mar 18, 2011
- Delhi most active in e-commerce: eBay - Dec 08, 2010
- Choice the buzzword, as consumers pampered like never before (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 25, 2010
- 'More Indian teens using networking sites to communicate' - May 23, 2012
- A million kids worldwide addicted to Facebook - Nov 04, 2011
- Dogs overtaking cats as UK's favourite pet - Apr 03, 2011
- Techno-crazy Brits 'spend 9 hours a day playing with their gadgets' - Oct 12, 2010
- British parents regret gifting gadgets to kids - Jun 01, 2012
- Now, chat with your Facebook friends from your wristwatch! - Apr 24, 2011
- 171,000 Britons caught using phones while driving - Dec 30, 2011
- Brain temperature can now be measured non-invasively - May 03, 2011
Tags: accurate time, counterparts, danger of extinction, decline, fashion accessory, forties, gadgets, london, microwave oven, mobile phone, respondents, time telling device, watches, wristwatch, wristwatches