Minivan runs over group of pedestrians in Japan, killing 7April 13th, 2012 - 12:35 am ICT by BNO News
KYOTO, JAPAN (BNO NEWS) — Seven people were killed on early Thursday afternoon when a minivan ran over a group of pedestrians in the Japanese city of Kyoto, police said. The driver of the vehicle was also killed.
The incident occurred at around 1 p.m. local time when the minivan rear-ended a taxi and crossed the red traffic light at the intersection of Shijo and Yamato Ooji streets in Kyoto’s historic district of Gion. The vehicle ran over sixteen people before crashing into a telephone pole and coming to a stop.
Police told the Kyodo news agency that seven pedestrians between the ages of 40 and 77 were killed while nine others were injured. The driver of the minivan, who was identified as 30-year-old delivery man Shingo Fujisaki of Kyoto’s Nishikyo Ward, was also killed in the accident.
Family members told the media outlet that Fujisaki had previously suffered from epilepsy, but police are considering the incident as possible negligent driving resulting in death and injury. Investigations are also pending an autopsy of the driver to reveal the cause of his death and his mental condition at the time of the accident.
Thursday’s accident occurred only some 50 meters (165 feet) from the Minamiza Kabuki Theater. The area is a popular touristic site where thousands of people have gathered to see the city’s ancient cherry blossoms, which are currently in full bloom.
- Eight killed as car hits pedestrians in Jakarta - Jan 22, 2012
- Six dead in China road accident - Jun 01, 2012
- Nearly 200 dead in Nepal accidents this year - Jul 15, 2012
- North China expressway accident kills 35 - Oct 08, 2011
- Truck runs over cop in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Two pedestrians killed in east Delhi - Feb 20, 2012
- Passenger buses collide in Taiwan tunnel, killing 2 - May 08, 2012
- Four killed in Rajasthan accident - Aug 18, 2012
- Truck rams 10 vehicles, eight people killed - Jan 29, 2011
- Five killed in car accident near Moscow - Jul 22, 2012
- 8 killed, 18 injured in two Rajasthan accidents - May 11, 2012
- Kerala minister's car kills two - Nov 21, 2011
- Drivers to blame for most accidents - Oct 20, 2011
- 15 killed in Peru road accident (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- At least 8 killed in northern China minibus crash - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: autopsy, bno, cherry blossoms, delivery man, epilepsy, family members, fujisaki, full bloom, intersection, japanese city, kyodo news agency, kyoto japan, local time, minivan, negligent driving, pedestrians, shijo, telephone pole, thursday afternoon, traffic light