Milwaukee Airport Runway Reopens After Torrential Rains Leave It WaterloggedJuly 24th, 2010 - 7:04 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Milwaukee, July 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) After torrential rains resulted in the complete closure of the main airport of Milwaukee, one of the two main runways was again opened on Friday afternoon. The authorities of the General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee, Wisconsin confirmed that the airport had been re-opened after the maintenance crews jumped into action after water accumulated in the runways following the heavy rains. According to reports, an estimated 8 inches of rain fell within two hours in the city of Milwaukee in the state of Wisconsin resulting in major traffic congestion as well as power shortages.
Ryan McAdams, a spokesperson of the main airport in Milwaukee confirmed to the media that one of the runways of the airport was back in action owing to the pumping and cleaning efforts undertaken by the crews. Although it has been revealed that one of the runways is ready for arrival as well as departure of the flights, the airport authorities were unable to shed any light into when the other runway would be reopened. In the meanwhile, Ryan McAdams also stated that it would take some time before AirTran, Frontier and Delta and other airlines recovered from the cancellation and the operation of the flights could again attain normalcy. After multiple flights were canceled due to the rains, hundreds of people remained stranded in the airport.
However, it seems unlikely that the incessant rains that Milwaukee has been witnessing for the last few days would be stopping sometime soon. The National Weather Service has issued warning that some parts of the region could see another spell of rain in the next 24 hours.
- Milwaukee Airport Closed, Runways Flooded - Jul 24, 2010
- Milwaukee Airport closed, as runways are flooded with water due to torrential rains - Jul 23, 2010
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Pet Turtle Makes Taxiing Plane Turn Around, PETA Demands Investigation - Jun 27, 2010
- Minneapolis Airport Closed After Blizzard Onslaught - Dec 12, 2010
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport reopened after five-hour closure for repairs - Apr 23, 2011
- Main Mumbai airport runway to shut for 8 hours till May - Jan 20, 2012
- Rachel McAdams 'caught kissing Brit actor Michael Sheen' - Dec 03, 2010
- Southwest To Take Over AirTran - Sep 28, 2010
- Little Turtle, Which Stopped A Plane, Given Back To Its Proprietors - Jun 27, 2010
- Mumbai airport runways re-open after being shut for five hours - Apr 23, 2011
- O'Hare Airport Operations Limp Back To Normalcy - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,