Militants kill 8 and kidnap several others in northwest PakistanMarch 25th, 2011 - 8:47 pm ICT by BNO News
PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — Pakistani militants attacked a convoy carrying Shia Muslims, killing eight and kidnapping several others in the northwestern part of the country, local media reported Friday.
The incident occurred in Pakistan’s Bagan area of the Kurram tribal region, when a group of gunmen opened fire on two vehicles near the volatile Afghan border. According to the Express Tribune, almost 40 people were kidnapped as well, although some reports say as few as 15.
Sectarian violence in area are not uncommon as reports indicate the victims were members of the Turi tribe, which have constantly clashed with Taliban supporters in the past months despite reportedly striking peace deals.
Pakistan’s Afghan border is known to be a stronghold of the Taliban’s Haqqani Network, which is considered one of the top terrorist organizations and threats to U.S. forces in Afghanistan.
The region is not far from North Waziristan where the U.S. drone campaign is most active and is aimed at disrupting al-Qaida and the Taliban.
- U.S. drone strikes kill 6 suspected militants in Pakistan - Apr 13, 2011
- Pak Army blockades fiercely anti-Taliban tribe near Afghan border - Oct 27, 2010
- Shia militias helping Haqqani network evade US drone attacks, cross Pak-Afghan border - Nov 28, 2010
- Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak's Kurram region - Apr 02, 2011
- Taliban talks with rival Kurram tribe to access strategic Af-Pak border areas - Oct 29, 2010
- Eight people killed in suspected sectarian violence in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak's Kurram region freed following negotiations - Apr 02, 2011
- U.S. drone strikes kill 11 suspected militants in Pakistan - Jun 20, 2011
- Fresh U.S. drone strikes kill 4 people in North Waziristan - Aug 03, 2011
- U.S. concerns grow as militants move bases along Pakistan border - Nov 08, 2010
- Sit-in against U.S. drone attacks begins in Pakistan - Apr 24, 2011
- At least five killed in U.S. drone attack in North Waziristan - Feb 25, 2011
- Warring Kurram tribesmen wary Pak military's hand behind Haqqani group mediation - Oct 21, 2010
- Al Qaeda leader admits terror network facing pressure from drone hits in Pakistan - Jan 27, 2011
- U.S. drone strikes kill 21 in North Waziristan - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: afghan border, afghanistan, al qaida, bagan, bno, convoy, drone, gunmen opened fire, haqqani, local media, north waziristan, northwest, peace, peshawar pakistan, sectarian violence, shia muslims, stronghold, taliban, terrorist organizations, tribe