Microchip leads police to Kelli the penguinJuly 9th, 2010 - 9:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Dublin, July 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Kelli, the penguin who was abandoned on a city sidewalk have been returned to her Dublin Zoo.
The penguin was snatched by pranksters from the zoo and abandoned on the city sidewalk, where she could have been killed by a car or even hurt by someone. Officials at the zoo have not taken the event as a joke.
The zoo officials say they were able to track the penguin with the help of the microchip that was planted inside the bird. She was reunited with the zoo authorities and the penguin was later medically checked and given the all clear to be returned to her cage, where she was reunited with Mick, who is her penguin partner.
Initial police investigations say the pranksters climbed the security fence of the cage where the penguins were kept and stole Kelli. There are about a dozen Humboldt penguins in the cage.
The Dublin Zoo has borne the brunt of several other pranks from people. In 2008, the zoo’s switchboard received several calls from callers who asked to speak to some of the animals in the zoo.
- Penguin Kelli Tracked By Police Using A Microchip - Jul 09, 2010
- Planted Micro Chip Helps In Recovering Kelli, The Lost Penguin - Jul 09, 2010
- Stolen dog is found riding a bus - Nov 29, 2011
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Britons fined in Australia for stealing penguin - May 03, 2012
- Missing dog Archie who was lost for 549 days, reunited with family - Feb 01, 2011
- Missing dog returns after five years - Nov 30, 2011
- Elizabeth Moreau Pays A Price For Being A Bad Ex-Wife - Oct 23, 2010
- Poodle reunited with owner after 18 months of 'mystery' - Jan 31, 2011
- Khan sisters oppose caged animals in zoos - Jan 24, 2012
- Leopard mauls croc keeper to death in China zoo - Jul 19, 2012
- Orphaned grizzlies sent to the Montana zoo - Dec 21, 2010
- New York gunman kills one; shot dead (Third Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- WWE Raw: Kelly Kelly vs Brie Bella - May 18, 2011
- Foxes Kill Penguins at London Zoo - Oct 17, 2010
Tags: animals in the zoo, authorities, brunt, city sidewalk, dublin zoo, joke, kelli, microchip, penguin, penguins, police investigations, pranks, pranksters, security fence, switchboard, zoo officials