Michigan man sentenced to prison for identity theftFebruary 2nd, 2010 - 4:04 pm ICT by BNO News
DETROIT (BNO NEWS) – A Detroit, Michigan man on Monday was sentenced to prison for his connection to an identity theft scheme involving approximately 40 financial accounts, prosecutors announced.
Martel T. Kirkland, 53, was sentenced to fifteen years imprisonment for conspiracy, mail fraud, aggravated identity theft, credit card fraud, wire fraud, uttering a forged security, and aiding and abetting, in connection with an identity theft scheme.
Kirkland engaged in the scheme with co-defendants Jay Cohen and Robert Fox, both of Philadelphia, who pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. As part of the scheme, the defendants paid various personal expenses with stolen credit card numbers and bank account information obtained by Kirkland.
Fox paid Kirkland a cash fee, usually 50 percent of the amount of the expenses paid. The transactions in the conspiracy amounted to more than $220,000, most of which were reversed.
The case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the United States Postal Inspection Service.
- Indian gets jail term for brokerage fraud in US - Apr 28, 2010
- US court sentences Chennai-born to 81 months in prison - Apr 27, 2010
- Two former employees of Bernard Madoff arrested - Nov 19, 2010
- Daughter of Malcom X charged with fraud and stealing personal identification information - Feb 23, 2011
- Michigan city mayor Herbert Worthy pleads guilty to bribery - Jan 28, 2010
- Two Florida men plead guilty to bank fraud and credit card conspiracy - Mar 23, 2010
- 'Nightmare scenario' as huge data theft hits 70 m Sony PlayStation users - Apr 27, 2011
- Manhattan, NY computer hacker sentenced for stealing and laundering money - Apr 07, 2010
- Indian American gets 12 years jail term for internet drug fraud - Dec 15, 2009
- Russia slams hacker's extradition to US - Jan 20, 2012
- Chinese swindles over $474,000 with bank passwords - May 21, 2012
- Miami resident sentenced to 22 years in prison for Medicare fraud - Jan 28, 2010
- Seattle man sentenced for stealing a Veteran's identity - Mar 20, 2010
- St. Louis woman sentenced for role in bank fraud scheme - Mar 12, 2010
- Seattle woman sentenced for massive identity theft scheme - Jan 09, 2010
Tags: bno, credit card fraud, credit card numbers, detroit michigan, federal bureau of investigation, fifteen years, financial accounts, imprisonment, jay cohen, kirkland, mail fraud, martel, michigan man, personal expenses, postal inspection service, robert fox, states postal inspection service, united states postal, united states postal inspection service, wire fraud