Michelle Obama reveals plan for White House dogFebruary 26th, 2009 - 3:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 26 (ANI): U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama has revealed that her family is planning to get a pet dog at the White House soon.
She said during an interview that the family would be getting the dog sometime after spring break, when she and President Barack Obama come back from vacation with their daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7.
“So Sasha says, ‘April 1st.’ I said, ‘April.’ She says, ‘April 1st.’ It’s, like, April!” People magazine quoted her as saying.
“Got to do it after spring break. You can’t get a new dog and then go away for a week,” she added.
As to the breed, Michelle said that she would prefer a rescue Portuguese Water dog who is “old enough” and a “match” for the family dynamic.
“Temperamentally they’re supposed to be pretty good,” she said of the breed that Senator Ted Kennedy has also lobbied.
“From the size perspective, they’re sort of middle of the road - it’s not small, but it’s not a huge dog. And the folks that we know who own them have raved about them. So that’s where we’re leaning,” she said.
As to the name of the dog, the first lady has still not been able to settle on one, and she is not able either to agree to the names her kids have come up with.
“Oh, the names are really bad. I don’t even want to mention it, because there are names floating around and they’re bad,” she said with a laugh.
“You listen and you go - like, I think, Frank was one of them. Frank! Moose was another one of them. Moose. I said, well, what if the dog isn’t a moose? Moose. I’m like, no, come on, let’s work with the names a little bit,” she added. (ANI)
- Obamas settle on Portuguese water dog for First Pet - Feb 27, 2009
- Obama's daughters find him embarrassing - Jan 14, 2012
- My mum still does her own laundry, says Michelle Obama - Apr 22, 2011
- Michelle Obama to take 'Let's Move!' anti-obesity drive global - Feb 09, 2011
- Parents back Michelle Obama's 'Facebook ban on her daughters' - Feb 11, 2011
- Obama's 49th b'day: home alone with grey hair and Winfrey, but no cake - Aug 05, 2010
- Stefani to host Obama fundraiser with Michelle - Jul 05, 2012
- How Obamas' daughters live a normal life - Nov 27, 2010
- Dogs overtaking cats as UK's favourite pet - Apr 03, 2011
- Michelle Obama reveals daughter's party clothes left President gulping! - Apr 19, 2011
- Barack talks me through stressful time: Michelle Obama - Apr 08, 2010
- Michelle Obama branded a 'hypocrite' for 'eating ribs on ski vacation' - Feb 22, 2011
- Michelle Obama urges Brazilian youth to build friendships 'around the world' - Mar 20, 2011
- Obama to American kids: Get ready to compete with Beijing, Mumbai - May 17, 2011
- Khloe clueless about Kim, Kanye - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: april 1st, barack obama, first lady, house dog, laugh, little bit, malia, match, michelle obama, moose, people magazine, portuguese water dog, sasha, senator ted kennedy, size perspective, spring break, ted kennedy, white house