Michelle Obama arrives in South AfricaJune 21st, 2011 - 8:18 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Johannesburg, S.A., June 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US First Lady Michelle Obama arrived in South Africa on an official visit. The trip is the second solo trip for Michelle since her husband became the 44th President of the United States.
The first lady arrived in the African country on Monday. She was met at the airport by the US ambassador to South Africa Donald Gips. Michelle’s trip to South Africa is part of a US program aimed at promoting US international policies on health, education and democracy. According to details given by officials on her trip, Michelle will visit number of cities including Cape Town and Johannesburg.
From South Africa, Michelle will travel to Botswana on a similar mission. Some analysts in South Africa told Reuters Africa that the visit of Michelle Obama to South Africa will be seen as a positive sign for the Jacob Zuma administration.
Independent political analyst Nic Borain said that, “I think any president who hosts her gets to bask in the glory. So a president of the newish South Africa, the site of the last great struggle by black people against colonialism and apartheid hosting the first black First Lady, is going to take on a symbolic quality that will be quite blinding.”
Michelle will meet with Nelson Mandela’s wife Graca Machel during the trip.
- Mandela looks healthy on TV - May 31, 2012
- Michelle Obama to visit South Africa, Botswana - Jun 04, 2011
- Nelson Mandela hospitalized for 'routine tests' - Jan 27, 2011
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- South Africa celebrates Nelson Mandela's 93rd birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- We have a missile crisis, Mrs Obama - Oct 15, 2011
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- Thousands to honour Mandela on 92nd birthday by doing good - Jul 16, 2010
- ANC slams Nelson Mandela twitter 'death' hoax - Jan 17, 2011
- Mandela bring down curtain on historic World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Barack Obama arrives in New Delhi - Nov 07, 2010
- Nelson Mandela hospitalised after stomach complaint (Lead) - Feb 25, 2012
- Historic Spain victory caps euphoric African World Cup (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2010
- Former South African President Mandela goes home to rest - May 23, 2011
Tags: 44th president, ambassador, apartheid, cape town, colonialism, first lady, gips, health education, international policies, jacob zuma, june 21, michelle obama, nelson mandela, political analyst, president of the united states, reuters, solo trip, south africa johannesburg, wife graca machel, zuma