Miami resident sentenced to 22 years in prison for Medicare fraudJanuary 28th, 2010 - 6:06 am ICT by BNO News
MIAMI (BNO NEWS) – A Miami resident on Wednesday was sentenced to 22 years in prison for a Medicare fraud scheme.
Michel De Jesus Huarte was sentenced for various offenses including conspiracy to commit Medicare fraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and aggravated identity theft.
The conspiracy alleged that Huarte and others controlled and operated six purported medical clinics in the Miami-Dade County. According to the indictments, these clinics submitted at least $50.2 million of false and fraudulent claims to Medicare for infusion therapy, injection therapy, and other expensive medical treatments designed to treat Medicare beneficiaries suffering from a wide variety of ailments including cancer, HIV, AIDS, chronic pain, and varicose veins.
Based on these fraudulent claims, Huarte and his conspirators were paid at least $19.2 million.
To conceal their involvement in the scheme, Huarte and his conspirators recruited nominee or “straw” owners for each company, and paid them large sums of cash to sign the corporate records, bank records, and other business documents.
The six purported clinics involved in the fraud were Zigma Medical Care, Inc., Tender Loving Care Medical Center, Inc, Professional Medical Health, Inc., Metro Med Care, Inc., San Diego Medical & Rehab Center, Inc., and Eulogia’s Diagnostic Medical Center, Inc.
Prosecutors commended the investigative efforts of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Internal Revenue Service, Broward Sheriff’s Office, and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
- Miami couple sentenced for $1 million Medicare fraud - Mar 13, 2010
- Two Miami-Dade, Florida HIV-clinic owners sentenced for health care fraud - Jan 27, 2010
- A Miami, FL man was sentenced for multi-million dollar health care fraud - Mar 03, 2010
- Two Indian Americans plead guilty to health care fraud - Dec 12, 2009
- Florida transvestite charged with manslaughter after injecting woman's buttocks with cement - Jul 28, 2012
- Owner of FL medical equipment company convicted of fraud - Feb 03, 2010
- Feds make Medicare fraud arrests - Feb 18, 2011
- Four Florida residents charged in $6 million mortgage fraud scheme - Mar 17, 2010
- Indian-American doctor gets 15-year jail - Feb 02, 2011
- Los Angeles, CA fugitive sentenced for Medicare fraud - Mar 26, 2010
- Indian-American fined $10 mn for medicare fraud - Apr 09, 2010
- Raleigh, NC, man sentenced for $12.64 million health care fraud - Mar 03, 2010
- Former GlobeTel CEO sentenced to over four years in prison for securities fraud - Jul 27, 2010
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Six Indian-Americans caught in US Medicare fraud - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: broward sheriff, cancer hiv, eulogia, florida department of law, florida department of law enforcement, fraud scheme, hiv aids, huarte, infusion therapy, internal revenue service, medical rehab, medicare beneficiaries, medicare fraud, miami dade county, miami resident, rehab center, san diego medical, tender loving care, varicose veins, zigma