Miami couple sentenced for $1 million Medicare fraudMarch 13th, 2010 - 12:11 am ICT by BNO News
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA (BNO NEWS) – A Miami, Florida, couple was sentenced on Friday for their convictions for conspiracy to commit health care fraud in Woodstock, Georgia, prosecutors said.
Fernando Alfonso was sentenced to 30 months’ imprisonment while Rita Mateu was sentenced to 46 months in federal prison. Both will be required to serve a three-year term of supervised release.
From December 2007 through April 2008 Alfonso and Mateu devised a scheme to defraud Medicare for Town Lake Rehab and Medical Center LLC, a clinic in Woodstock that provides therapy services to Medicare beneficiaries.
The Miami couple recruited Medicare beneficiaries from local homeless shelters by offering them food or money in exchange for their Medicare information. They also stole identities of local medical doctors. With these data they billed Medicare with over $1 million of phony infusion therapy that were never provided.
The conviction of this couple is a result of Operation Redex Infuscam, a major investigation by the FBI into fraudulent billings to Medicare in the Southern District of Georgia.
- Miami resident sentenced to 22 years in prison for Medicare fraud - Jan 28, 2010
- Owner of FL medical equipment company convicted of fraud - Feb 03, 2010
- Feds make Medicare fraud arrests - Feb 18, 2011
- Indian-Americans caught in $450 mn Medicare fraud - May 03, 2012
- Indian-American fined $10 mn for medicare fraud - Apr 09, 2010
- Los Angeles, CA fugitive sentenced for Medicare fraud - Mar 26, 2010
- Two Indian Americans plead guilty to health care fraud - Dec 12, 2009
- Houston, TX behavioral counseling business owner charged with health care fraud - Mar 04, 2010
- Two Miami-Dade, Florida HIV-clinic owners sentenced for health care fraud - Jan 27, 2010
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Six Indian-Americans caught in US Medicare fraud - Feb 18, 2011
- A Nigerian national pled guilty to $1.6 million health care fraud in Texas - Mar 03, 2010
- Indian American doctor gets jail for $13 mn insurance fraud - Aug 12, 2010
- A Miami, FL man was sentenced for multi-million dollar health care fraud - Mar 03, 2010
- Chiropractor, attorney, and 15 others defrauded insurance companies with fake accidents - Feb 20, 2010
Tags: bno, federal prison, florida couple, health care fraud, homeless shelters, imprisonment, infusion therapy, mateu, medical doctors, medicare, medicare beneficiaries, medicare fraud, miami florida, prosecutors, redex, rehab, savannah georgia, southern district of georgia, supervised release, woodstock georgia